Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do Canadians have such a think accent?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Why do Canadians have such a think accent?

Hahaha; I'm Canadian too and I tend to pronounce the word 'router' (as in wifi router) as 'router' but I do have one work colleague who insists on saying 'rooter'. I get a chuckle every time.

Accents are awesome. So long as I understand the gist of what you're trying to say

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Fahim Abdun-Nur View Post
    Hahaha; I'm Canadian too and I tend to pronounce the word 'router' (as in wifi router) as 'router' but I do have one work colleague who insists on saying 'rooter'. I get a chuckle every time.

Accents are awesome. So long as I understand the gist of what you're trying to say
    I've never even thought of that pronunciation before I read your post.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Is not 'rooter' the right way to pronounce that - or do you Johhny Foreigners say 'rowta' or something

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

linkski rooter!
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Is not 'rooter' the right way to pronounce that - or do you Johhny Foreigners say 'rowta' or something
    Depends what type of router, I suppose.

I've always pronounced router as 'rooter' because it derives from the noun route, which is pronounced "root" in the UK. Whenever I hear an American pronouncing route as "rowt", for a moment I wonder why they're talking about a disorderly retreat.

However, I pronounce router as 'rowta' because it derives from the verb rout (pronounced rowt) in the sense of "to hollow, scoop, or gouge out."

So do Canadians distinguish between the two types of router?
    Last edited by coffeecat; January 1st, 2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: typo
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

We mostly pronounce route as root, and router using the American pronunciation, in my part of the country, but from the Manitoba/Ontario border east, pronunciation can be all over the place.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I've never even thought of that pronunciation before I read your post.
    Most people I've heard over here (South Africa) refer to it as a 'rooter'.
    The same goes for something like route 66, we will call that root 66. Path taken from location A to B is a 'root'

A "router" is something used for woodwork

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Most people I've heard over here (South Africa) refer to it as a 'rooter'.
    The same goes for something like route 66, we will call that root 66. Path taken from location A to B is a 'root'

A "router" is something used for woodwork
    For me, route is usually pronounced "rowt". But in the case of Route 66, it's "root" because that's how the name is famously pronounced. On the other hand, a long time ago, before they came out with the current rural mailing system in my state, they used to have what was called rural routes. In that case it was always pronounced rural "rowt", and I never once heard it pronounced "root" in that case. But other than famous proper names, I tend to always pronounce it "rowt". A root is something at the bottom of a tree or a stubborn weed.

I've never once heard anyone pronounce router as "rooter". That reminds me of the Roto-Rooter drain cleaning service.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Edmonton Alberta boy here (have been my whole life), and I am quite certain that I do not have any kind of an accent what so ever. However I am always getting bugged by my family and friends because I call traffic circles; round abouts. Sometimes I have been known to say "what are you on about?" or "aye"

Beans
    Hidden!

Always been a "rooter" to me

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast