Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pptp vpn not connecting

Beans

pptp vpn not connecting

Im using 10.04 with network manager applet. This is the output i get-

Aug 16 02:17:35 daddy-laptop NetworkManager: <info> Starting VPN service 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.pptp'...
    Aug 16 02:17:35 daddy-laptop NetworkManager: <info> VPN service 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.pptp' started (org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.pptp), PID 2249
    Aug 16 02:17:35 daddy-laptop NetworkManager: <info> VPN service 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.pptp' just appeared, activating connections
    Aug 16 02:17:35 daddy-laptop NetworkManager: <info> VPN plugin state changed: 1
    Aug 16 02:17:35 daddy-laptop NetworkManager: <info> VPN plugin state changed: 3
    Aug 16 02:17:35 daddy-laptop NetworkManager: <info> VPN connection 'VPN connection 1' (Connect) reply received.
    Aug 16 02:17:35 daddy-laptop NetworkManager: <WARN> nm_vpn_connection_connect_cb(): VPN connection 'VPN connection 1' failed to connect: 'invalid gateway 'gateway''.
    Aug 16 02:17:35 daddy-laptop NetworkManager: <WARN> connection_state_changed(): Could not process the request because no VPN connection was active.
    Aug 16 02:17:35 daddy-laptop NetworkManager: <info> Policy set 'Auto myhomenetwork ' (eth1) as default for routing and DNS.
    Aug 16 02:17:48 daddy-laptop NetworkManager: <debug> [1281921468.002458] ensure_killed(): waiting for vpn service pid 2249 to exit
    Aug 16 02:17:48 daddy-laptop NetworkManager: <debug> [1281921468.002561] ensure_killed(): vpn service pid 2249 cleaned up

Why cant ubuntu connect me to a pptp vpn?

Beans

Re: pptp vpn not connecting

Seriously though for me ubuntu is almost perfect- i can do everything i used to be able to do on windows. Except for using a pptp vpn. The one im using is called TUVPN-i tested it on a windows machine and it worked.

Can someone at least refer me to a vpn that is Known to work with ubuntu 10.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Aug 16 02:17:35 daddy-laptop NetworkManager: <WARN> nm_vpn_connection_connect_cb(): VPN connection 'VPN connection 1' failed to connect:
    'invalid gateway 'gateway'
    '.

are you sure you have the right IP address of the pptp server? or did you use a domain name instead?

Beans

Do other pptp vpn connections work for you? Try this one - http://www.swissvpn.net/index.php?co...ng=en#selected (note that it will only connect to the swissvpn.net site). If this works then that eliminates the possibility of something being wrong with your network (like pptp being blocked).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Edit the connection and click on the Advanced button. Under Security and Compression, check the first two options as well: Use Point-to-Point encryption (MPPE) and Allow stateful encryption. Doing this allowed me to access two VPNs I tried so far.

Currently using proXPN.
    Last edited by Oxwivi; August 23rd, 2010 at 08:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Oxwivi View Post
    Edit the connection and click on the Advanced button. Under Security and Compression, check the first two options as well: Use Point-to-Point encryption (MPPE) and Allow stateful encryption. Doing this allowed me to access two VPNs I tried so far.

Currently using proXPN.
    I do not trust ProXPN as what they wrote below.

Code:
    Q: Can I use an OpenVPN client instead of yours?
    A: No. However, we do offer PPTP VPN manual setup instructions for the iPhone, and you can use this as a guide for setting up a PPTP VPN connection on your computer too. We strongly recommend against this (you'll get much better performance with our client) and will not answer questions about it (if you want to tinker you've got to go it alone) but you're welcome to try it if you like. You'll just need to create an account first.
    Probably their client have some kinda monitoring log of what you did or web surfing habits.Nothing is so good to be FREE.

Beans
    Distro

I'm using it WITHOUT the software. It should be obvious since I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 like my profile says. Using the iPhone settings and a bit of tweaking I mentioned above, I got it running.

And you can't help log monitoring. As long as you use internet, I believe there's no privacy. So I don't bother hiding my details either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Oxwivi View Post
    I'm using it WITHOUT the software. It should be obvious since I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 like my profile says. Using the iPhone settings and a bit of tweaking I mentioned above, I got it running.

And you can't help log monitoring. As long as you use internet, I believe there's no privacy. So I don't bother hiding my details either.
    Just be extra caution,those logging may include logging your email and login whatever so you are doing.In short, they may use your details for marketing purposes or even selling it for 3rd parties.Look into their terms & conditions plus the policy.Potential they are using as a honeyport to nab those crackers using their service to commit illegal activities.

Beans
    Distro

You got a point but it's the same with wherever you give your email address, be it Facebook or any other forum. Heck, even the email address providers can do that, possibly. But as long as I can mark sources as spam, it's fine with me.

Beans

Oxwivi can you tell me wath options have you enabled?
    I try all combinations but i can't connect
    I have your same OS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast