Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Project : Outreach

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Project : Outreach

A big penguin may be cute to attract attention, but I was thinking more along the lines of attractive and informative brochures, demonstrations, maybe an Impress presentation, etc. Is anyone able and willing to go to the Cogan computer fair this Saturday, Sept.9th in Enfield?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    A big penguin may be cute to attract attention, but I was thinking more along the lines of attractive and informative brochures, demonstrations, maybe an Impress presentation, etc. Is anyone able and willing to go to the Cogan computer fair this Saturday, Sept.9th in Enfield?
    I wish I could convince a guy I worked with to loan his ~4' (larger than actual size) Emperor Penquin!

I'll be out of the state at that time. Anybody else?
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Cogan Fair

I worked at the table at the Cogan computer show in Enfield again last Sunday. There seemed to be a moderate interest, considering the fact that business in general has been slow at their shows lately. I handed out 19 Ubuntu CD's and a number of the little cards with contact information for this LoCo that Bruce had kindly printed out before the Hartford show. One person who stopped by said he was picking up a CD for a couple members of the Cogan staff. I would like to see what they do with it. Just trying it out would be okay, but some kind of review and promotion on their web site would be fantastic.

The next show is in Danbury next Sunday, September 16th. Is anyone willing and able to go?

Beans

Hi Deb.
    Sorry I was unavailable last week. I have a match in the morning, but should be able to get to the show around noon. I have printed up some more cards. What else would useful. Give a call today if you're going.

EVERYONE !!!!!!
    How about some brainstorming on what might be a bit 'showy' for the masses.
    Does anyone have COMPIZ running? Are there any good 'show' apps?

ANYONE ELSE SIGNING ON ???

EVEN IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HANG OUT AT THE TABLE, STOP BY AND SAY HELLO.

Hope to see some of you this weekend if Deb has signed us up.

Bruce

Beans

Debbie did have us signed up and spent the day at the show. I arrived around 1:30p. Overall the show was slow. While I was there, we discussed installing Ubuntu with 2 showgoers and spoke with maybe a dozen people in total. No one admitted to being a LoCo member.

I've now done a show in Hartford and one in Danbuy and haven't met anyone from the LoCo. I'm planning on being at the Southington show until about 2pm. The level of group involvement is not meeting my expectations for a community effort. I can't tell if I missed the initial wave of involvement or if critical mass was never reached.

Let me know what you all think. Is there a LoCo here or not?

Bruce

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: IRC Meeting

I would just like to remind everyone of the IRC meeting that is supposed to be happening this Thursday, Sept. 20, at 9:00PM.
    (#ubuntu-connecticut FreeNode IRC Channel) I am proposing a discussion topic on how to keep the LoCo alive, if anyone still reads these posts and is interested in making this work. Bruce and I have handed out quite a few CDs and business cards with information about this group to people who seemed to be interested. It will be hard to recruit new members when the existing members do not participate in the forums or discussions.

Beans

Once again, kudos to Debbie for coordinating and staffing a table at the Cogan Fair in Southington, passing out Ubuntu disks and information cards for the LoCo. I spent a few hours with her hoping to see some sign of life from this group (an unfulfilled hope I carried forward from Thursday). Once again disappointed, I wish you well. Adieu.

Bruce

Beans

Hello,
    My name is Paul Cartwright, a member of the GaLoCo in Georgia. My uncle lives in East Hartford, and I talked him into installing Kubuntu on his PC. Problem is.. I can't get his dialup working. We looked in /dev and found /dev/ttyS0-S3 but the modemquery in kppp doesn't find it. Any clues/help??
    His modem is a modem blaster, lspci shows Conexant HSF 56k HSFi modem.
    I'm on DSL, I've never hooked up a modem to linux...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pbcartwright View Post
    Hello,
    My name is Paul Cartwright, a member of the GaLoCo in Georgia. My uncle lives in East Hartford, and I talked him into installing Kubuntu on his PC. Problem is.. I can't get his dialup working. We looked in /dev and found /dev/ttyS0-S3 but the modemquery in kppp doesn't find it. Any clues/help??
    His modem is a modem blaster, lspci shows Conexant HSF 56k HSFi modem.
    I'm on DSL, I've never hooked up a modem to linux...
    /dev/ttyS0 will only work if he is using an external modem, not an internal one. I have found that using an external US Robotics (USR) modem has worked every time when you point it to /dev/ttyS0.

Internal modems, you run the risk of it being a Winmodem (where 1/2 of the processing is done with Windows software, and only 1/2 occuring in the hardware) and there is the chance it isn't recognized by Kubuntu. Out of the 3 internal modems I have on my PCs, only 1 is recognized in Linux and the other 2 have had to use the external modem.

I'll try and take a look in Kubuntu for how to configure it. So far I have not been overly successful.

Dapper Drake had a handy "Find Modem" button which would scan the system for a modem it recognizes and if it finds one it sets its address in the loction box. Unfrotunately Feisty seems to have dropped that feature (and has not been too good with modems in general).
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

thanks, I wasn't sure about the ttyS0, I noticed in lspci it showed as module acm, but I'm not sure if he had a /dev/acm, we never looked past the ttyS*..
    I'm pretty sure the easiest thing to do would be to get an external hardware modem, like a zoom or Robotics.
    thanks!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast