Thread: Installing programmes on a USB

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Installing programmes on a USB

I have LUBUNTU running from a USB drive.

I tried to install a programme and it only seemed to install for the current session.

Can a programme be installed to Lubunu if the OS is running from a USB drive?

If so, what is the method?

Thanks

Beans

Re: Installing programmes on a USB

Quote Originally Posted by anon_private View Post
    I have LUBUNTU running from a USB drive.

I tried to install a programme and it only seemed to install for the current session.

Can a programme be installed to Lubunu if the OS is running from a USB drive?

If so, what is the method?

Thanks
    When you create the live USB you need to create it with persistence, either manually or by checking the box in the tool you used to make it such as Unetbootin.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912...b-flash-drive/
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    When you create the live USB you need to create it with persistence, either manually or by checking the box in the tool you used to make it such as Unetbootin.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912...b-flash-drive/
    Thanks for responding.

I have made the USB bootable using Unetbootin and am running Lubuntu 12.10 from a USB drive.

I think that it is now too late to make the USB persistent, or at least I assume so.

I also assume that if I install Lubuntu to the hard-drive, from the desktop, then I will be able to save all settings, and downloads, etc.

Best wishes.

A

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think that it is now too late to make the USB persistent, or at least I assume so.
    The persistent option needs to be configured while creating the usb drive. You would have to recreate to configure the persistent area.

I also assume that if I install Lubuntu to the hard-drive, from the desktop, then I will be able to save all settings, and downloads, etc.
    You mean a physical installation on your computer instead of on a usb drive? Of course, if you install to your machine you will be able to install software and change settings permanently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you have room on your hard drive, the best and fastest way to run any OS is off the hard drive. I install and run off a USB drive just to test an OS. If I want to use it on a regular bases that I would do the install.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    If you have room on your hard drive, the best and fastest way to run any OS is off the hard drive. I install and run off a USB drive just to test an OS. If I want to use it on a regular bases that I would do the install.
    Thanks for responding.

When I run from the liveUSB I have an install Lubuntu icon at the top left of the screen. So hard disk installation should be straight forward.

I think Unetbootin options screen that allows me to try Lubuntu will also allow an install. I assume that both options are equivalent

Best wishes.

A

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by anon_private View Post
    Thanks for responding.

When I run from the liveUSB I have an install Lubuntu icon at the top left of the screen. So hard disk installation should be straight forward.

I think Unetbootin options screen that allows me to try Lubuntu will also allow an install. I assume that both options are equivalent

Best wishes.

A
    Yes, I have made it a point to run an OS off a USB to make sure everything works. With Ubuntu I had a problem with my wifi in my laptop, so I found a fix before I installed it. So after I installed it I was able to get my wifi going.
    This past year I got a Solid State Drive and with 4gig of memory in my old Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop I can't believe how good Ubuntu 12.10 runs. It boots up in 20 seconds and the programs load and run super fast. Before I did these couple of upgrades I was thinking about getting a new laptop. But not any more.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.