Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamp installation

Beans

Lamp installation

Hi,
    IM installing LAMP server on a Ubuntu server. Im following the instrutions from http://www.howtoforge.com/installing...12.04-lts-lamp. The apache2 install seems ok. I get the IT WORKS webpage in the localhost. I then installed php5 using the command and then created the info,php file in /var/www directory. But when i go to localhost/info.php i get a message saying what should FF do with this file (gedit default). Absolute beginner!!!! Dont know what to do.

Beans

Re: Lamp insallation

Quote Originally Posted by horgag View Post
    Hi,
    IM installing LAMP server on a Ubuntu server. Im following the instrutions from http://www.howtoforge.com/installing...12.04-lts-lamp. The apache2 install seems ok. I get the IT WORKS webpage in the localhost. I then installed php5 using the command and then created the info,php file in /var/www directory. But when i go to localhost/info.php i get a message saying what should FF do with this file (gedit default). Absolute beginner!!!! Dont know what to do.
    If you were following that guide then most probably you skipped the apache2 restart.
    Do it
    Code:
    sudo service apache2 restart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

mod_php

Also, is mod_php active?

Code:
    sudo a2enmod php5

Beans

Re: mod_php

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    Also, is mod_php active?

Code:
    sudo a2enmod php5
    I have noticed that when libapache2-mod-php5 is installed via apt-get, it gets enabled by default.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

In case someone else reads this thread, I would recommend installing with the commands

Code:
    sudo apt-get install tasksel
    sudo tasksel install lamp-server
    rather than the link in first post.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    In case someone else reads this thread, I would recommend installing with the commands

Code:
    sudo apt-get install tasksel
    sudo tasksel install lamp-server
    rather than the link in first post.
    I would not recommend tasksel, it killed my system last time. I install via apt-get and all is fine. The link is ok but I am not sure why he su to root instead just using sudo.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I would not recommend tasksel, it killed my system last time. I install via apt-get and all is fine. The link is ok but I am not sure why he su to root instead just using sudo.
    Thanks for the response, that problem has been solved. The only thing left is icant log into phpmyadmin. I can log into mysql through the terminal. Any ideas!!!?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Lamp installation

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Old guide is old. My bet is they didn't want to keep using sudo.

In any case, tasksel is fine as long as you don't uncheck anything. I've used it to install many boxes and haven't run into any problems with it.

Thanks for the response, that problem has been solved. The only thing left is icant log into phpmyadmin. I can log into mysql through the terminal. Any ideas!!!?
    It should use the same password that you use for mysql.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Old guide is old. My bet is they didn't want to keep using sudo.

In any case, tasksel is fine as long as you don't uncheck anything. I've used it to install many boxes and haven't run into any problems with it.

It should use the same password that you use for mysql.
    i am using the same password as mysql but nothing seems to happen on the phpmyadmin loginpage....it just continually trying to connect..no error.
    cheers

Beans

i am using the same password as mysql but nothing seems to happen on the phpmyadmin loginpage....it just continually trying to connect..no error.
    cheers
    My guess is that you didn't select MySQL as the database to be used with phpmyadmin during the installation of phpmyadmin. During its installation it appears that it is selected by default however it is not and you have to press spacebar to actually select it. Did you do that? If not then that is the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast