Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convenience script project

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Convenience script project

Hi all!

I know I posted a long while back when I was in the planning stages of this project, but now that I have it (somewhat) up and running, I would like to ask for help!

I have created a Launchpad project called Code Monkey. Found HERE. This project aims to create a source for small, user created scripts that perform "mild to moderately complex" tasks from the command line.
    For example, I have a script that was modified from a post on OMG!Ubuntu! months ago that allows users to fix the dreaded Missing GPG key problem. Another script will check the system and report information about the hardware's support for Compiz effects. There is currently about 10 of such scripts.

Here is where you guys come in- I am looking for people that would like to help add to and manage this project!
    Many of these scripts are still in their infancy, and much of the documentation is lacking. I am hoping that with some added exposure and a few helping hands, this project could really go somewhere! (Provide a troubleshooting source for the Forums?)

Please feel free to contact me or join the Code Monkey Developers group on Launchpad!
    Java Guide Media support Flash x64 Grub2 Get Dropbox! My Look! RSync Twitter

"Windows 7 was my idea"- I guess Microsoft enjoys copyright infringement?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Convenience script project

Does it look like a good idea?

To be completely honest, any feedback would be awesome.

Have you considered adding snippets from sites like http://blog.commandlinekungfu.com/ or http://commandlinefu.com?

Also, the remarks for the x64 Flash installer, gmail.sh and gReader.sh scripts say the programs are intended to backup files via rsync. I think maybe that's off-target.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    Have you considered adding snippets from sites like http://blog.commandlinekungfu.com/ or http://commandlinefu.com?
    I originally got some of the ideas for the scripts from those sites! I have em updated on my google reader, so I always catch the newest ones!

Also, the remarks for the x64 Flash installer, gmail.sh and gReader.sh scripts say the programs are intended to backup files via rsync. I think maybe that's off-target.
    hogeez- I didnt even realize that!
    SEE!!! This is exactly why I was hoping for a few extra sets of eyes and hands.
    I guess they were carried over as artifacts when I copied the GPL licence info to the other scripts....

By the way, no disrespect to Ubuntu users, but some other distros tend to attract rabid scripters, for what I have seen. You might get ideas by visiting other forums (Arch and Gentoo come to mind) and asking blankly what scripts people use regularly and why, and if anyone offers anything useful, ask for their permission to use it in your package.

Beans
    Distro

By the way, no disrespect to Ubuntu users, but some other distros tend to attract rabid scripters, for what I have seen. You might get ideas by visiting other forums (Arch and Gentoo come to mind) and asking blankly what scripts people use regularly and why, and if anyone offers anything useful, ask for their permission to use it in your package.
    Good idea!
    I know Ubuntu is more biased towards GUI, but there is still a lot of scripting that can occur. It never occurred to me that I could ask the other distros.

Youre awesome.

Beans
    Distro

Although, any help from the forums here would still be awesome too!

Also, I don't know what exactly you're using as criteria for inclusion, but the sed home page has a gargantuan list of one-liners and short scripts that do all kind of nifty things to files.

awk one-liners are famous too.

Beans
    Distro

Also, I don't know what exactly you're using as criteria for inclusion, but the sed home page has a gargantuan list of one-liners and short scripts that do all kind of nifty things to files.

awk one-liners are famous too.
    Cool- Ill check it out.

Its not really focused on one-liners, but more precisely focused on slightly larger (average a dozen lines-ish?) that could accomplish a task that would otherwise be unwieldy to do.

For example, you looked at the X64 flash installer. It does a number of simple one-line tasks, such as removing old versions of flash, updating the system and installing the newest version of Flash for the x64 system. All of them are relatively simple to do, but the script automates it and completes the task in 1/10 of the time!

Things like that, you know?

Beans

I registered a branch and thought I could just copypaste my crappy script to the interwebs but it looks like it's not that easy.

Since my crappy ghetto script is probably not worth spending hours on to figure out bazaar, I'll just pastebin it here.

SAFEDAWG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast