Thread: How to create a 'new connection'

Beans

How to create a 'new connection'

Using a public ISP, I have to connect to the internet like this:

-Network Connections,
    -Open 'New Connection Wizard'
    -Choose 'Connect to the Internet', next
    -Choose 'Set up my network manually', next
    -'Connect to a broadband connection that requires a username and password', next

Then I'd enter the information provided to me by the ISP, and there we go, I had internet. So then I went upstairs today to perform the same process on my computer running Linux when it dawned on me that I have absolutely no idea how to do this. I had just plugged into the internet using an ethernet cable before, and looking at the interface provided to me now, there's just simply not an option to do anything like this.

The options are 'Wired Internet' which is faded out for some reason so I can't select it, 'auto eth0' which is selected whenever I plug in an ethernet cable, and a menu about setting up or configuring a VPN connection.

So my question is... what should I do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to create a 'new connection'

Quote Originally Posted by 2kfm3 View Post
    Using a public ISP, I have to connect to the internet like this:

-Network Connections,
    -Open 'New Connection Wizard'
    -Choose 'Connect to the Internet', next
    -Choose 'Set up my network manually', next
    -'Connect to a broadband connection that requires a username and password', next

Then I'd enter the information provided to me by the ISP, and there we go, I had internet. So then I went upstairs today to perform the same process on my computer running Linux when it dawned on me that I have absolutely no idea how to do this. I had just plugged into the internet using an ethernet cable before, and looking at the interface provided to me now, there's just simply not an option to do anything like this.

The options are 'Wired Internet' which is faded out for some reason so I can't select it, 'auto eth0' which is selected whenever I plug in an ethernet cable, and a menu about setting up or configuring a VPN connection.

So my question is... what should I do?
    read
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ADSLPPPoE
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Smile Re: How to create a 'new connection'

Quote Originally Posted by carlee View Post
    Thank-you, that helped.
    Last edited by 2kfm3; October 29th, 2009 at 03:23 AM.