Thread: Current username capitalization causes confusion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Current username capitalization causes confusion

My "old" way of capitalizing my username (currently used on these forums) would often cause some problems when users mistook the lower case "Q" for a lower case "G". I now go by "IQAndreas" online which has solved this issue.

Would it be possible to update my username case to match other forums, and help avoid typos?

I realize forum policy is to not allow username changes, but in this case, it's for a practical reason, not just a whim. In addition, transferring over 56 posts to a new account would be inefficient.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Current username capitalization causes confusion

I'm not at all sure that misplacing a lowercase g for a q is of any practical use. If your post's get quoted then the username is transferred properly.

Posts are not transferred to new accounts anyway, so is completely moot.

I see no reason to change your username.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    I'm not at all sure that misplacing a lowercase g for a q is of any practical use. If your post's get quoted then the username is transferred properly.
    You are correct, on forum replies it does not matter.

The problem comes in when people on the forums search for me via other means, when they have to manually type in my username somewhere else.

For instance, two I have gotten are "I was unable to find you on GitHub." or "I added access for you on the private pages of the wiki," when in fact, they added the account 'igandreas', leaving me still without access.

It's minor things, but they become a constant annoyance which can be avoided with one little change in capitalization.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Hi - sorry for the delay in someone getting back to you.

That's a fair point. I've redone your username so that it now appears as IQAndreas.

Good luck!
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.