Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are we going to see Java SE 6?

Beans

Re: Are we going to see Java SE 6?

Perhaps we should make a wiki page about this?

Beans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks ever so much.......

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by samjh View Post
    realistically speaking, an upgrade to Java 6 is really not that much of a priority at the moment. Most enterprises will not be adapting Java 6 so soon after its release. Therefore, most professional Java programmers will not be working with Java 6 either, unless it is purely for private or non-business use.
    That's utter BS!

Many enterprises will want to start using java 6 within a year, which means that the branch of that version will either have been created already or be created very soon, and at that point the developers (such as myself) will need java 6. Sure that we won't start using our java 6 based system until 2007 Q3 or Q4, but we start making it now.

Still, even if I would want java 6 purely for private or non-business use, why should I have to go through hoops of manually installing it in a non-ubuntu (or should I say non-debian) way? Your contempt for "private" and "non-business" users make me sick.

Still, even if you completely disregard both private/non-business users and early-adopting professionals/enterprise developers I still don't understand why java 6 can't be added alongside java 5. Since there already are java 6 packages for feisty, what reason could there possibly be for not having java 6 packages also in edgy and dapper?

The latest dapper java is 1.5.0_06 FFS! "Long term support" my ass!!!

Beans

I wrote this tutorial for a simple install of JDK6, eclipse and Tomcat. Ubuntu is awesome, but it's worth knowing how to use your system without relying on the Ubuntu-specific implementations and/or the package manager.

For what it's worth, our company rebuilt all of our existing java projects for JDK6 on the day of release.
    Last edited by phossal; January 13th, 2007 at 04:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by phossal View Post
    I wrote this tutorial for a simple install of JDK6, eclipse and Tomcat. Ubuntu is awesome, but it's worth knowing how to use your system without relying on the Ubuntu-specific implementations and/or the package manager.
    That's just wrong in so many ways.
    I used to make custom java debs and put them on the company's internal deb repository, but now that there are official java packages I'd much rather use them. That's not quite possible in ubuntu, though, since the ubuntu folks apparently think security updates can be freely ignored even for a new "LTS" release.

For what it's worth, our company rebuilt all of our existing java projects for JDK6 on the day of release.
    That might be possible for small projects and if you don't want to take advantage of features found in the new version, but for large projects where you also want to do significant changes (such as converting io->nio a few years back) it'll take a lot of time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by msundman View Post
    That's just wrong in so many ways.
    ? Our department had JDK5 (updates 6-10) and JDK6 on the day of release. Using a computer to do work, like running JDK6 is not wrong in any way. Are you being trollish or naive? If you're commenting on avoiding the package managers, the proof is in the pudding. I can slide a daily JDK update into 12 machines off a flash drive in a few minutes. It works for us, and for a thousand other people. It's a simple way to get up and running. To even make a statement like the quote above is nonsensical.

That might be possible for small projects and if you don't want to take advantage of features found in the new version
    You're right. It's possible for small projects. You're right again, it's possible if you don't want to take advantage of features found in the new version. You didn't mention that it's possible for large projects. And it's possible for projects where you do want to take advantage of new features.
    Last edited by phossal; January 13th, 2007 at 04:43 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

[blah blah.. non-deb installation is OK.. blah blah]
    You apparently subscribe to the philosophy of "If it's stupid but works, then it's not stupid!" whereas I think "If it's stupid but works, it's still stupid!" so let's just agree to disagree on this one.

You didn't mention that it's possible for large projects. And it's possible for projects where you do want to take advantage of new features.
    Sorry, you lost me. We probably agree, but just to make it clear: I think it's impossible to do several man-years of work regarding a complex transition from one java version to another over night. (An underlying assumption I made but didn't mention was that non-final java releases are not used even by developers.)

Beans
    Hidden!

If anyone's interested, here are the java6 backport "bug" reports for dapper and edgy.

Beans

I'll ignore what you say, tell you what you think, and then make a bunch of nonsensical arguments to refute the point I've made for you. Get ready.
    Take a break from yourself. Even I'm tired.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by msundman
    I'll ignore what you say, tell you what you think, and then make a bunch of nonsensical arguments to refute the point I've made for you.
    That's a serious misquote.
    I'm sorry if I interpreted your nonsensical ramblings (such as "Using a computer to do work, like running JDK6 is not wrong in any way." WTF?! Seriously thinking anyone is against computers working or just trying your hardest to misinterpret things?) incorrectly, but the part about "avoiding the package managers" (as is reflected in my "non-deb installation is OK" summary) was the only thing I thought was relevant. If you feel I was wrong or left out something important then please do correct me (and if you are correct I will gladly and humbly stand corrected), but don't start spewing BS rhetoric or misquotes.
    Last edited by msundman; January 13th, 2007 at 05:57 AM. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast