Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2 on Ubuntu 12.10 is laggy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Guild Wars 2 on Ubuntu 12.10 is laggy

Hey everyone, as the title implies I am playing Guild Wars 2 on Ubuntu 12.10 (recently upgraded from 12.04.1 LTS) and the gameplay is awfully laggy, as in 8-10 fps in areas with little activity, and then it drops to as low as 2-3 fps in areas with a lot of activity. The gameplay was also the same in Ubuntu 12.04.1.

A couple tech specs of my machine:
    Processor: Intel Pentium D 2.66 GHz dual core
    Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 550 Ti

I am using PlayOnLinux to run the game, and so far.. it had gotten the job done, but not well enough.
    Basically what I'm asking if there is something that I need to do in order to have the game run smoother, or if it just my piece of junk processor. I am beginning to think that it is my processor since I am tried multiple combinations of methods..

Any tips?

Thanks,
    Nanur

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Guild Wars 2 on Ubuntu 12.10 is laggy

I run it with 30 FPS on my dual-core 2.20 so it's not the processor I'd say. Most probably it is the bad graphics card drivers that are creating this hassle for you :/

Sadly there is not much to do about that while on Linux at the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I will try updating my graphics card's drivers.. I hate to see my card go to waste like this.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Zirts View Post
    I run it with 30 FPS on my dual-core 2.20 so it's not the processor I'd say. Most probably it is the bad graphics card drivers that are creating this hassle for you :/

Sadly there is not much to do about that while on Linux at the moment.
    It basically comes down to WINE performance at the moment. I am running a quad core 3.4ghz processor with an Nvidia GTX 460 and tend to only get about 15-25 fps. Used to be the same back in the early World of Warcraft on WINE days, but now that runs at nearly 200fps. Hopefully it will be all sorted soon!
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Nanur View Post
    Hey everyone, as the title implies I am playing Guild Wars 2 on Ubuntu 12.10 (recently upgraded from 12.04.1 LTS) and the gameplay is awfully laggy, as in 8-10 fps in areas with little activity, and then it drops to as low as 2-3 fps in areas with a lot of activity. The gameplay was also the same in Ubuntu 12.04.1.

A couple tech specs of my machine:
    Processor: Intel Pentium D 2.66 GHz dual core
    Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 550 Ti
    The biggest problem is wine doesn't really utilize multi-core processors for those games that really need multi-core. This is an ongoing problem hopefully we will see some developement addressing this in the future.

In the mean time the latest Nvidia beta drivers 310.14 has some new optimizations that does make an measureable impact by offload rendering to the gpu but I'm not sure if it can help in your case, or might make things worse. (I don't play GW2)
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tweak42 View Post
    The biggest problem is wine doesn't really utilize multi-core processors for those games that really need multi-core. This is an ongoing problem hopefully we will see some developement addressing this in the future.

In the mean time the latest Nvidia beta drivers 310.14 has some new optimizations that does make an measureable impact by offload rendering to the gpu but I'm not sure if it can help in your case, or might make things worse. (I don't play GW2)
    I can confirm that the Nvidia drivers do make a difference, but the performance is still not great. Think we need a few Wine tweaks. Guild Wars 2 is a very highly rated "Please Support" game for the Crossover people, and they make a lot of contributions to Wine, so if it becomes fully supported there, that support might trickle into the Wine builds.
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I downloaded and installed the lastest Nvidia drivers and still no change in FPS.. I am just hoping the folks working on the WINE versions for Guild Wars 2 will eventually get everything sorted out here pretty soon and I will get 20+ fps.. (which for me.. that'll be amazing compared to 8-10, or even 2-3 in some areas.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Nanur View Post
    I downloaded and installed the lastest Nvidia drivers and still no change in FPS.. I am just hoping the folks working on the WINE versions for Guild Wars 2 will eventually get everything sorted out here pretty soon and I will get 20+ fps.. (which for me.. that'll be amazing compared to 8-10, or even 2-3 in some areas.
    Two areas you can monitor for tips and updates, and even lobby for support are:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=26558
    http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...d=7951;forum=1

I'm really hopeing with Nvidia recent interests in linux support will help those of us stuck using wine for games.
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I find the game runs reliably, it doesn't crash, it just needs a little fine tuning. They could probably use crossover to convert it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by holastickboy View Post
    I find the game runs reliably, it doesn't crash, it just needs a little fine tuning. They could probably use crossover to convert it.
    It does run reliably.. However, for me at least, it is quite difficult to play, and as you said.. It needs a little fine tuning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast