Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS & Unity: Ubuntu's "Win8?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs down Ubuntu 12.04 LTS & Unity: Ubuntu's "Win8?"

Got a "new"ish Dell machine. Decided to put 12.04 LTS on it. Figured if I disliked Unity as much as I was led to believe I would, I could always switch to XFCE or Mate.

I gave it the old college try. Really I did. But it isn't going to work for me. Tomorrow the 12.04 LTS install is getting overwritten with 10.04 LTS. I did hate Unity every bit as much as I feared I would. Nor was Mate the answer. (With all due respect to their efforts: Mate is not Gnome 2.) From what I've read of XFCE: I won't be happy with that, either, so I'm not even going to waste more time. And those are just high points of my dissatisfaction with 12.04 LTS. (I won't bore you with the details of my several hours of messing with stuff, today. I've got a running, functional system, but we hates it.)

12.04 LTS server will go on new/upgraded server installs, but, for desktops (I have three of them): I'll stay with 10.04 LTS as long as humanly possible--to the point of using alternate repos or downloading tarballs, building and installing into /usr/local/..., if I have to.

And if Ubuntu hasn't regained its sanity by the time it's no longer feasible for me to do that, anymore, I guess I'll have to find a new distro.

What you did with Unity on 12.04 LTS, Ubuntu, was completely, totally wrong for my needs. As much as it surprises me to say it, I think I'd almost rather MS-Win7, and I utterly detest MS-Win. Please, please, PLEASE, Ubuntu, reconsider your direction on desktop/laptop system window/desktop managers.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS & Unity: Ubuntu's "Win8?"

Given your feeling on this
    No harm in asking: Did you try Mint Mate (I install it for quite a few customers) I have to say it's as good as Gnome 2 ever was IMO, and looks better too.
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Carl, he said he tried it and hated it. In fact, he seems to hate every desktop other than Gnome 2 apparently. My advice seymour, let go. Gnome 2 is dead and all linux desktops spare Cinnamon, KDE, LXDE, and XFCE are moving to a brand new paradigm. You need to get with the times and let go of the past.

Also, MATE IS Gnome 2. Just with a name change and some reworking for GTK3. Yes it looks odd, but that is because it's like trying to keep a dieing dog alive by attaching still living limbs. In the end, it still dies. And be aware when Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop reaches EOL, apt will stop working. You will no longer be able to install anything or update. It will be severed and the only solution is to reroute all PPA's in 10.04 to the Archive PPA which is not maintained is is merely for archival purposes. but is compatible with APT.
    Last edited by ManamiVixen; March 31st, 2013 at 05:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Carl, he said he tried it and hated it.
    Correct

I did see that.

Just my experience prodding me - In that I have tried a few Mate incarnations. And Mint is light years in front. It really looks good and is very snappy.

Fubuntu have a gnome 2 incarnation
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Carl, I'm going to assume, from reading the Mint and other forums, that Mate on Mint will be similar to, if not identical to, Mate on Ubuntu. If so: Non-starter. (Maybe after Mate's had some time to mature?) Besides: With most of the rest of my servers and desktops running Ubuntu, a firewall running FBSD, and a special-purpose server running RHEL6 (I had no choice): I'm not particularly fond of the idea of adding a fourth distro to the mix. (Eh, make that fifth. I've still got some legacy Solaris boxen, too.) But thanks for the suggestion, nonetheless.

MV: Be that as it may: I can stick with 10.04 LTS Desktop until that time comes, so that's what I'll do. When the time comes that I'm forced to make a change: Then I'll make that change. I can guarantee you it will not involve Unity, or any other attempt at a "unified" desktop/laptop/tablet/phone/wristwatch/eyeglasses/whatever "experience." In any event: I'm not particularly interested in arguing the point. Nor am I particularly interested in being lectured on how I need to "get with the times and let go of the past." So, and I mean this with all due respect: Please be so kind as to put a sock in it. Thank you.

Jim

Beans
    Distro

This is Mint Mate on my eeepc
    http://www.imagebam.com/image/d0862a245160032

similar to, if not identical to, Mate on Ubuntu
    No
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    This is Mint Mate on my eeepc
    http://www.imagebam.com/image/d0862a245160032

No
    Very well. Thanks for the input, Carl. Perhaps I'll give Mint a try on the next go-around. Right now I need to get that desktop up & running fairly quickly, and 10.04 LTS is a known quantity. (Whatever I do, I'll eventually transition all my servers and desktops over to it.)

Jim

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JSeymour View Post
    Very well. Thanks for the input, Carl. Perhaps I'll give Mint a try on the next go-around. Right now I need to get that desktop up & running fairly quickly, and 10.04 LTS is a known quantity. (Whatever I do, I'll eventually transition all my servers and desktops over to it.)

Jim
    No worries
    Mint 13 is the LTS version BTW. It's been rock solid since I installed it.
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have Ubuntu 10.04 still as my primary DE, as I really like Gnome2 with Ubuntu, but as the DE addition is finally going to EOL very soon, I took the time to try Xubuntu and installed and configured Xubuntu 12.04 and found I like it even more than my Ubuntu 10.04 install. I really think you should read a few more objective comments on the DE or even take the time to try it before dismissing it . You may like me, with a little customizing find it to be very much to your liking too. It is very customizable!

With Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Lubuntu, you still have options.

FYI

;p
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mikodo; March 31st, 2013 at 08:28 AM.

Beans

Unity is slowly becoming usable; just wait for Raring Ringtail before making any judgement. On my machine the early version of Raring + Unity is better than previous iterations...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast