Thread: Odd behaviour when opening firefox in monitor attached to netbook

Beans

Odd behaviour when opening firefox in monitor attached to netbook

I have a 20" monitor attached to my netbook, and have it set up in system/preferences/monitors so I do not have the same image in both monitors. This lets me move the mouse back and forth between the attached monitor to the netbook monitor, and have different stuff on the two screens. However, I have some odd behavior I don't understand.

When I open firefox on the attached 20" monitor, it pops onto the netbook screen, either when I first open it, or when I first click a link on the home page. I can then go to the netbook screen, right click the monitor and select "unmaximize", and it returns to the attached screen. I can then maximize it and it stays on the attached screen.

What causes this and how can it be corrected?

Beans

Re: Odd behaviour when opening firefox in monitor attached to netbook

Did I describe this problem clearly? No answer so far, but it is the weekend. However, if the problem I described is not clear please tell me so I can write a clearer description.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I believe this issue has to do with how Ubuntu handles primary and secondary monitors. I believe the primary is always the one on the left, so setting your monitor to the left may help this out.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I work with 2 monitors all the time ... I don't know what I did without them! I have noticed that new windows normally open on the screen I last clicked on the first time I opened the program. I hope that isn't too confusing but I'm pretty sure that is how ubuntu remembers it.

Also, with firefox I have noticed the dialog boxes always seem to pop-up (edit > preferences for example) on the OTHER monitor (or non-primary which is always my other) ... not sure why.

So, in short, if you want it to load on your external monitor, next time you boot up, click firefox and your external monitor's desktop quickly. Or, just move your panels (hold down alt and drag) to your external monitor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Flyers2391 View Post
    Or, just move your panels (hold down alt and drag) to your external monitor.
    O.o Wow, that really works. That has been my biggest complaint with Ubuntu and Dual Monitors, and it's that easy? How long has that feature been there?

Too bad I've only found it out now, in November, five months before it's all replaced by Unity anyway...

Thanks for the tip. That is so incredibly useful.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Thanks. That works and solves my problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    O.o Wow, that really works. That has been my biggest complaint with Ubuntu and Dual Monitors, and it's that easy? How long has that feature been there?

Too bad I've only found it out now, in November, five months before it's all replaced by Unity anyway...

Thanks for the tip. That is so incredibly useful.
    I know I've been able to do it for years ... I looked through the forums a while ago looking for a way, thinking there had to be an easy way but unable to figure it out. Then I saw someone post you can hold down alt ... just like if you wanted to move any other window (by default)

tc101, glad you got it going the way you wanted, and thanks for marking the thread solved!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Flyers2391 View Post
    So, in short, if you want it to load on your external monitor, next time you boot up, click firefox and your external monitor's desktop quickly. Or, just move your panels (hold down alt and drag) to your external monitor.

Sweet! Thank you Flyers, this "solved" a whole other problem(I think its a bug) I was having with Firefox

I wasn't able to drag a FireFox window between displays (And I could with any other app).

Holding down Alt let me drag the window to my other display. I'm new to Ubuntu and was thinking it was a Ubuntu issue but this proves it's Firefox.

*adds submitting a bug report to his agenda of customizing Ubuntu* (This is the first time I've seriously looked into using Ubuntu as my main OS. So far its faster but DAMN, so much work to customize it.)