Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.

Beans

Re: How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.

Thanks Cavsfan, but from my experience I want to ask specific questions. I don't want to read all manual to Grub2 or another things, because you see, I do this mistake in Grub1, and now there is Grub2 and my knowledge is for nothing! I don't want to know all Linux configurations before I make simple change that its necessary for my system. I want to learn what is necessary to be learn! I do my migration form Debian in hope to make life simpler! And I expect that from this community.

We learn all our lives, but we don't learn the same things, so please consider this in future. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Emek View Post
    I want to learn what is necessary to be learn! I do my migration form Debian in hope to make life simpler! And I expect that from this community.

We learn all our lives, but we don't learn the same things, so please consider this in future. Thanks!
    I believe expecting things from this community won't get you very far. Asking graciously will get you a lot farther.
    And you posted the exact same thing (identical) in 2 different threads, which I believe is inappropriate in this forum.
    This thread is just about how to create a customized GRUB2 screen and that is all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I believe expecting things from this community won't get you very far. Asking graciously will get you a lot farther.
    And you posted the exact same thing (identical) in 2 different threads, which I believe is inappropriate in this forum.
    This thread is just about how to create a customized GRUB2 screen and that is all.
    Let admins decide...

And... Where do you think I should post this mousepoll stuff? Easy to say it is inappropriate, but tell me, where to post this type of question? I am open to guidelines!
    Last edited by Emek; November 4th, 2010 at 07:50 AM.

Beans

With more screenshots, this thread will be nicer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Emek View Post
    Let admins decide...

And... Where do you think I should post this mousepoll stuff? Easy to say it is inappropriate, but tell me, where to post this type of question? I am open to guidelines!
    All I meant was that this thread does not have anything to do with mouse polling and I have no idea how to help you with that.
    I would suggest you post a new thread in the General Help section. But, you have already posted the identical question on that GRUB and grub-legacy thread.
    Not sure what the protocol is.

Quote Originally Posted by alababi View Post
    With more screenshots, this thread will be nicer.
    Feel free to post your screenshot!
    I'll post another one myself. Thanks for the suggestion!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Added a lighter background example picture of white snow at the bottom of of the tutorial.
    Also added the colors I used in both pictures.
    Feel free to post your own GRUB2 screen along with the color combinations you used.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation Re: How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.

Fantastic thread! Thanks!

In your menu entry for Ubuntu

Code:
    cat << EOF
    menuentry "Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat 10.10 (Recovery Mode)" {
        set root=(hd0,3)
            linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 ro single
            initrd /initrd.img
    }
    EOF
    you don't have a search command. I discovered the hard way what it's for; it sets the root, overwriting the set statement the line before, because the "device enumeration" (which drive is hd0, which is hd1, and so on) can change from boot to boot. People assume, as I had, that hd0 is /dev/sda, hd1 is /dev/sdb, and so on, but that can change, indeed it did on my system; hd0 became /dev/sdb, hd1 became /dev/sda.

I'm not sure why grub-mkconfig generates the set root statement, since the search overwrites it. Maybe it's a fallback in case the partition UUID changes. IMO quite misleading.

The search command doesn't have to use the unwieldy UUID, it can use a label or a file to search for.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    Fantastic thread! Thanks!

In your menu entry for Ubuntu

Code:
    cat << EOF
    menuentry "Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat 10.10 (Recovery Mode)" {
        set root=(hd0,3)
            linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 ro single
            initrd /initrd.img
    }
    EOF
    you don't have a search command. I discovered the hard way what it's for; it sets the root, overwriting the set statement the line before, because the "device enumeration" (which drive is hd0, which is hd1, and so on) can change from boot to boot. People assume, as I had, that hd0 is /dev/sda, hd1 is /dev/sdb, and so on, but that can change, indeed it did on my system; hd0 became /dev/sdb, hd1 became /dev/sda.

I'm not sure why grub-mkconfig generates the set root statement, since the search overwrites it. Maybe it's a fallback in case the partition UUID changes. IMO quite misleading.

The search command doesn't have to use the unwieldy UUID, it can use a label or a file to search for.

You are welcome!
    Adding the search command to this will cause problems.
    This way you do not need the search command or the UUID. Everything that is necessary is inside the boxes.
    And the drive/partition cannot be changing on every boot. Unless it is because you have the search command
    included after the set root command. My ext4 Maverick is on (hd0,3) and has been there since installation.
    The UUID (in the Windows 7 entry) will not change unless you reinstall Windows. My Ubuntu installs have
    remained on the same drive/partition (hd0,3) through many installs.

My 06_custom has remained the same since Karmic and I have never had any problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    My Ubuntu installs have
    remained on the same drive/partition (hd0,3) through many installs.

My 06_custom has remained the same since Karmic and I have never had any problems.
    Well, it happened to me, thought I'd mention it on the thread in case someone else ended up in the same boat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

G'day Cavsfan,
    I managed to get past that little issue I was having with grub, and after going through your very easy to follow tute, have started with this one.

Please excuse the crappy cameraphone quality, I'll take another with my camera when it's here later and replace it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast