Thread: How to convert a Virtualbox .vdi into physical OS on another machine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question How to convert a Virtualbox .vdi into physical OS on another machine?

I have reached the limit of installs I can do with my Win Xp disk. I'd like to think that if I wanted to reinstall xp again, I can use one of my virtual machines. Is this possible?

Beans

Re: How to convert a Virtualbox .vdi into physical OS on another machine?

as far as i understand you still can, what i would suggest for you to do is copy your XP cd installer disk using "brasero" and create an .iso image of it and save it to your desktop or on your files, it would be easier for you to re-install or create a new virtual xp machine by routing Virtualbox CD/DVD to the xp .iso image you have created.
    Polytechnic University of the Philippines .... Proud to be Pinoy!..
    Acer Aspire One ZG5 and Neo empriva Laptop: 1.6GHZ intel celeron, 2 Gig DDR2/667 Ram, 160 Gig HDD (80 for Mac OSX Leopard / 80 for Ubuntu 10.04) now i'm a happy man!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Well I've been saving disks as iso files for a while now. I do it for backup reasons- in case the cd gets scratched- and because running the iso to install an os is a lot faster than running off a disk.

This, however, does not help. When I say I've reached the limit of xp installs, I mean I can no longer register, or authenticate the key of that particular disk. I can install just fine, but I will be out of luck in 30 days when it comes time again to verify the key.

I figure that since I have virtual boxes running this same os, I can somehow copy the virtual os, save it somewhere, then install it on new machines and such as it becomes necessary. I realize this is not exactly permitted by Windows, but in my defense, I have never requested refunds when I buy new machines and decline the agreement for Vista before installing Ubuntu. I feel we should be square in that sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ddixonr View Post
    Well I've been saving disks as iso files for a while now. I do it for backup reasons- in case the cd gets scratched- and because running the iso to install an os is a lot faster than running off a disk.

This, however, does not help. When I say I've reached the limit of xp installs, I mean I can no longer register, or authenticate the key of that particular disk. I can install just fine, but I will be out of luck in 30 days when it comes time again to verify the key.

I figure that since I have virtual boxes running this same os, I can somehow copy the virtual os, save it somewhere, then install it on new machines and such as it becomes necessary. I realize this is not exactly permitted by Windows, but in my defense, I have never requested refunds when I buy new machines and decline the agreement for Vista before installing Ubuntu. I feel we should be square in that sense.
    This sounds alot like your XP may have been in the pirated key list. You should call microsoft to verify the key is yours.

Beans

There are ways to make virtual machines into real ones, but I wont post that cause I could get banned from the forum for such an action
    First they ignore you.Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.Then you win.Gandhi
    Linux para las masas
    Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated!

I've never converted a Windows VDI, but if you're interested in converting an Ubuntu VDI (or VMDK) to an ISO, which you can then install on bare metal, take a look at http://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/convert-vm-iso

Cheers,
    Alon Swartz

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scrooge_74 View Post
    There are ways to make virtual machines into real ones, but I wont post that cause I could get banned from the forum for such an action
    Hi, can you please email it to me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.