Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gone back to 10.04!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Gone back to 10.04!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan J Murray View Post
    PS I haven't tried 12.04 with MATE, but I figure that you might as well go for linux mint mate rather than faff around with installing mate on 12.04. I also wonder if linux mint mate will be a bit leaner, as it won't have all of the G3/unity baggage with it (maybe that was what was slowing down 12.04 fallback?).
    I recommend and install Linux Mint to newbie friends because it is easy to run and has good multimedia support out of the box. I have found that Mate is faster than Cinnamon, which might be important on older computers. Cinnamon feels more modern but has fewer tools in the box, so it is a good idea to install both to have a choice of both desktop environments as well as tools to tweak the system.

But, as I described earlier, I run Ubuntu 12.04 flavours myself.

Beans

I have been away from *buntu for a while as i also run Slackware. However the initial 12.04 release did niggle me.

I have recently come back to 12.04 though in the form of Mint and it is running/installed perfectly. (few Nvidia niggles but that is a given).

Running epicly fast with KDE 4.9 and no issues at all post install (Nvidia drama) on recent powerful hardware (gtx 580, 16gb ram and SSD's)

It is all about not what works but what you can make work, there are too many options for people to complain about things not working in my opinion (and I know no one here is complaining, I am just making a general statement).

If you want to go back to 10.04 then that is fine as long as you dont like updates.

Peace
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

What are you guys thoughts on 11.04?

Just asking.

As good as 10.04? Better? Machine is an AMD Phenom x4 2.2 Ghz desktop with 4 Gigsa RAM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    What are you guys thoughts on 11.04?

Just asking.

As good as 10.04? Better? Machine is an AMD Phenom x4 2.2 Ghz desktop with 4 Gigsa RAM.
    11.04 has passed end of life, and receives no [security] updates. I used Ubuntu Studio 11.04 on a Xeon workstation and was happy with it until end of life, when I upgraded it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't deny having this nagging feeling that as I come to the end of support of 10.04 while it is still running on my laptop something dramatic will happen (i.e. the laptop will explode) - but when I think about it rationally, all that will happen is that a very stable piece of software will stop receiving updates. That shouldn't be a problem, even with regards to security - but I guess you have to be vigilant.

Not that keen on moving from G2 to xfce/lxde, but I figure I may do that in the future. I find G2 to have a nice balance between efficiency, but also having some of those luxury features I occasionally use. It also works so well with my workflow, as I'm quite a keen workspace user. It's easy to drag files across workspaces and switch quickly between them (this is more of a jibe towards G3 and unity though).

KDE I haven't really given a fair go (apart from trying some live distros). I find the buttons are all a bit small, and last time I used it (PCLinuxOS) it seemed to ape windows so much that it put me off somewhat. However, their workspaces looks like an excellent idea. Maybe if I could configure it more like G2 I'd give it another go in the future.

Don't see any benefit to using 11.04 - it was the first of the unity series, and in my eyes, a bit unfinished and slow. 11.10 and 12.04 are big improvements IMHO.

Beans

It also works so well with my workflow, as I'm quite a keen workspace user. It's easy to drag files across workspaces and switch quickly between them (this is more of a jibe towards G3 and unity though).
    What's the issue with Gnome Shell workspace dragging/switching? GS allows dragging of windows between workspaces (even to one that doesn't exist yet...) and from the overview to another workspace. I never used Gnome2 much - did it allow dragging from desktop to another workspace?

For quick switching, I also like the Workspace Navigator extension - hit the Windows key and the arrow keys allow switching. No Ctrl-Alt-<arrow> messing about. In the overview mode, the mouse works just like it used to in Gnome2, so, all round, nothing lost, and plenty gained as far as I can see.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmchapman View Post
    What's the issue with Gnome Shell workspace dragging/switching? GS allows dragging of windows between workspaces (even to one that doesn't exist yet...) and from the overview to another workspace. I never used Gnome2 much - did it allow dragging from desktop to another workspace?

For quick switching, I also like the Workspace Navigator extension - hit the Windows key and the arrow keys allow switching. No Ctrl-Alt-<arrow> messing about. In the overview mode, the mouse works just like it used to in Gnome2, so, all round, nothing lost, and plenty gained as far as I can see.
    Yup, Gnome 3 without the extensions is not very usable IMO. I recall a mention of the 'places' menu. There are a couple extensions to address that as well as workspaces. The biggest PITA for me in Gnome 3 is the lack of Gnome 2 ish printer and user administration. The defaults suck. As luck would have it however, both the older applets are available in the repos and both seem to function in Gnome 3. I think XFCE installs the older functional apps by default.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Yup, Gnome 3 without the extensions is not very usable IMO. I recall a mention of the 'places' menu. There are a couple extensions to address that as well as workspaces.
    I added an extension to make it more convenient to use the arrow keys to switch workspaces... Hardly a major functionality change. Did Gnome2 have that built in? If so, I take my hat off to it.

Not sure about the places menu. Is that one of those extensions to make it more like the 1990s?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Gone back to 10.04!

I don't deny having this nagging feeling that as I come to the end of support of 10.04 while it is still running on my laptop something dramatic will happen (i.e. the laptop will explode) - but when I think about it rationally, all that will happen is that a very stable piece of software will stop receiving updates. That shouldn't be a problem,
    It may not be..Still running 10;10 on the white box..
    On the Revo I have lts with Gnome classic...Very nice.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmchapman View Post
    The problem I had with GS was when trying to drag files around to different workspaces - On G2 I have the 1st workspace with the folder with the files I'm working on, then I have GIMP and various other programs on the other spaces. It's simply a matter of dragging the file to the workspace with GIMP on, hold it, then drop it on GIMP. In GS you need to take the file up to the top left, move to the desired workspace, wait, move to the workspace screen, wait again!, then you can drop it on GIMP. In GS I found it simply much easier to go to GIMP and just open from the file browser there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast