Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubuntu on a Powebook G4 15" 1.67Ghz

Beans

Re: Lubuntu on a Powebook G4 15" 1.67Ghz

Glad that I found this thread....

I need some help getting Lubuntu to run on a MAC PowerPC Powerbook G4 laptop. Here are the specs: PPC 1.5Ghz, 12" screen, 1.25Gb Ram, 60Gb HD, NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM.

Lubuntu 12.10 installs, but glitches at the login screen. I can not see how to log in, and can not get to a command prompt to try to fix it. I am a somewhat noob on Linux stuff, but am willing to learn. After reading this thread I will try to install or run Lubuntu 12.04 as listed with the above settings. Also, I am assuming that this is the correct image to be using: http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/r...op-powerpc.iso

At the moment I have Ubuntu 10.4 installed and is working fine for the most part. The fans are constantly running, and it didn't always do that on the early versions of OSX (10.3).

Honestly I just want something that will be more efficient for my older Mac as I was running OSX 10.5.3, and it was SLOW and the hard drive was constantly running the swap file!

Thanks to everyone who has helped the OP, hopefully it will get my system running. I really love this little MAC of mine (purchased in 2005), and am happy that it will still work well for me going forward.
    Tom

Beans

Re: Lubuntu on a Powebook G4 15" 1.67Ghz

I did get Lubuntu 12.4 to install, but it seemed glitchie, and it was doing some constant freezing with the mouse, so I went back to Ubuntu 10.4.

Beans

Exclamation Lubuntu powerbook g4 12

hello there,

I am also new to this forum and to linux in general.
    I am trying since several days to install Lubuntu 12.10 on my powerbook g4 12 (2005).
    I have downloaded the 'live' iso.file, burnt the cd and restarted pressing 'C'
    Everything seems to work but then it stops, saying:

* starting pbbuttonsd OK
    * stopping anac(h)ronistic cron OK
    * starting NTP server ntpd OK
    * starting crash report submission daemon OK
    * stopping System V runlevel compatibility OK
    * Starting
    * Starting
    * Stopping

Is there anybody that could help me? what does it means?
    I have tried to do also live-powerpc and even check (which resulted ok)

I would appreciate any suggestion, hint..

best,

Marcella

Beans

Re: Lubuntu powerbook g4 12

Quote Originally Posted by mellac View Post
    hello there,

I am also new to this forum and to linux in general.
    I am trying since several days to install Lubuntu 12.10 on my powerbook g4 12 (2005).
    I have downloaded the 'live' iso.file, burnt the cd and restarted pressing 'C'
    Everything seems to work but then it stops, saying:

* starting pbbuttonsd OK
    * stopping anac(h)ronistic cron OK
    * starting NTP server ntpd OK
    * starting crash report submission daemon OK
    * stopping System V runlevel compatibility OK
    * Starting
    * Starting
    * Stopping

Is there anybody that could help me? what does it means?
    I have tried to do also live-powerpc and even check (which resulted ok)

I would appreciate any suggestion, hint..

best,

Marcella
    Marcella, try out Ubuntu 10.04 just for kicks. It runs much better at the moment than the other Live-CD you used.

Also once you have 10.04 installed, go to System/Administration/Hardware Drivers and then install the Braodcom B43 driver to make your wireless work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12