Thread: Cannot open pdf

Beans

Cannot open pdf

I've got some pdf files which can be open without any problem on Windows but require password when I try to open it on Ubuntu. As they are are not password-protected it is impossible to open them on my laptop. I wonder what is happening and if there is any way to open them in Ubuntu.
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Cannot open pdf

Where are the pdf files? On a separated partition? Or....?
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123 View Post
    I've got some pdf files which can be open without any problem on Windows but require password when I try to open it on Ubuntu. As they are are not password-protected it is impossible to open them on my laptop. I wonder what is happening and if there is any way to open them in Ubuntu.
    That's really odd. I always thought the password feature would be OS-independent. In other words, not matter what the OS, the requirement for a password would be the same and "intrinsic" to the particular pdf file.

Could it be possible that the pdf file (on Windows) did initially require a password and that you (or someone else) unlocked the pdf file in a Windows-specific way so that now it appears that the pdf file is not password-protected on Windows but is protected in Ubuntu?

Beans

these files are not password protected, although they contain some sensitive information, so I guess the they might have some form of encryption. but anyway, I have no problem to open them in Windows and I have no idea what password it might be. I will open one of the files in Windows again and will look into the properties.