Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firewall

Beans

Re: Firewall

Don't worry, nothing to see here, move along now. Keep your head in the sand and everything will be fine!

Beans

Smile Re: Firewall

Thank you everybody and cariboo907 to reply, thank you everybody for help me with this issues, I appreciate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by NadirPoint View Post
    Unauthorized or unintended outbound connections, regardless of their origin or intent are by definition a "bad" thing in the network world. I hope Cannonical is not on the road to becoming a commercial spyware vendor.
    I love it. This is hilarious.

For nearly a year now, Ubuntu has sent your Dash search queries to the Ubuntu One Music Store (run by 7Digital) to give you search results of music you can buy, as part of the Music lens. Nobody raised any objections.

For the last six months, Ubuntu has sent your Dash search queries to various other companies who deal in on-demand and "catch-up" video services, to give you search results of videos you can watch online, as part of the Videos lens. Nobody raised any objections - in fact, people quite liked the feature.

Now your search queries get sent to a big, well-known company as part of the Shopping lens, and people are raising all sorts of objections. Let's face it: Few people, probably nobody, would have raised any objections if the Shopping lens was powered by Dealsdirect or Thinkgeek. But since it's Amazon, it's a total invasion of privacy and a security risk, and completely unacceptable. Apparently.

So Canonical writes in a setting that stops the Dash from touching the Internet at all... and no, that's apparently not good enough either. All the objectors still want their search queries splattered halfway across the world to TV catchup services and music stores that most have never heard of, but just not to any well-known companies that make a lot of money.

I'm no fan of Amazon for a number of reasons, but I find it incredible that the privacy advocates didn't raise a peep back when Dash started sending search queries - they're only objecting a year later when the service is expanded to include just one more company.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    For nearly a year now, ...they're only objecting a year later when the service is expanded to include just one more company.
    People catch on when they do it surreptitiously, for the wrong reasons.

Thanks for confirming that Canonical intends to become a commercial spyware vendor!

Beans

Wow. Not being hyperbolic at all, are we?
    sig

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by NadirPoint View Post
    People catch on when they do it surreptitiously, for the wrong reasons.

Thanks for confirming that Canonical intends to become a commercial spyware vendor!
    You can turn it off, by going to System Settings->Privacy. Instead of making baseless statements, why not try some research first.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    You can turn it off, .
    Why should I have to turn it off? I never turned it on in the first place.

Is yours turned on?

Beans

I love it. This is hilarious.
    You have an odd sense of humor.
    ...sent your Dash search queries to the Ubuntu One Music Store (run by 7Digital) to give you search results of music you can buy,
    Music search goes to music source. Ya think?
    For the last six months, Ubuntu has sent your Dash search queries to various other companies who deal in on-demand and "catch-up" video services, to give you search results of videos you can watch ...
    Video search looks in video sources. Hmmm. Wonder why...
    Now your search queries get sent to a big, well-known company as part of the Shopping lens, and people are raising all sorts of objections.
    Any and all searches get sent out through Canonical. To wherever they want. Without your intention. Unbeknownst to you.

I fail to see the similarity. Must be my lack of that odd sense of humor. Sorry you don't parse that.
    Last edited by NadirPoint; October 14th, 2012 at 02:40 AM.

Beans

Weird that you can understand music going to a music source and videos going to a video source but... you're not getting this feature.
    sig

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    why not try some research first.
    I did. maybe that is the part you don't get.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast