Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Lubuntu - One Stop Thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post11422576

I have followed the above but still no additions to the menu.

Rodney
    Last edited by Rodney9; November 4th, 2011 at 09:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Attention Please!

To everyone:

Long story short, please let's all help each other to make this thread as easy to follow as possible and as informative as possible. Having that said, please make sure to post about your questions, suggestions, what do you want to see in here, etc.

Keep the long questions and problems on their own threads BUT PLEASE make sure to post the link of your thread in here.

Soon, you'll understand why I'm asking everyone to do so.
    The One Stop Thread is just a beginning for something even better

Thank you!
    Last edited by amjjawad; November 4th, 2011 at 01:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Orographic View Post
    Yes, I like the shutdown button on the far right too. I would still like to change the log-out menu item to shutdown if possible. I don't mean changing the options that come up, just call it 'shut-down' instead of 'log-out'.

Is that fairly easy to change in config?
    I spent some time trying to figure out HOWTO Change "Logout" to "Shutdown" but couldn't really get it to work. I finally told myself why to waste time on this while there is something more important to do? so I stopped

On the bottom right as you mentioned, there is an icon for Shutdown. I has the "Shutdown icon"
    By the way, the command is "lubuntu-logout" not "shutdown" as far as I can remember. So, "Logout" is the correct word here.

I don't mean to be rude or anything but for me, I prefer to spend my time on other stuff rather than changing these things. However, I'll make sure to find a way and will update the first post

My wife has just been using Lubuntu for an hour or more on this machine for work and she said she liked it.
    I'm glad she does

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Hylas de Niall View Post
    Hi amjjawad
    Hi and sorry for being late

Last night i resurrected my brother's old Toshiba EA60 -155 laptop using Lubuntu 11.10. He gave me the machine because 'the new battery doesn't charge up, and the graphics more often than not go into an infinite loop on boot-up'. NOW (with Lubuntu) the graphics are rock-solid and the battery is starting to charge up!
    Yet again, Lubuntu proves itself as one of the best Distributions with Old and New machines
    Glad to know that!

I need a vector graphics program like Inkscape or Xara XS now, i looked at Xara, but that has a list of dependencies as long as my arm to run and i was worried how that would impact on the speed of the machine?
    Unused RAM is wasted RAM
    . I've seen that somewhere on Arch Wiki. I'm a strong believer in that quote

Having many dependencies doesn't mean slower performance . That will be true only if all or most of these dependencies will be loaded in RAM and the CPU has to deal with all of them.

What are the specifications of your machine?

If i remember right, Puppy Linux used to come with Ink-Lite a minimal version of Inkscape that ran very well on low-end machines, is there anything similar that will work nicely on Lubuntu?
    Most if not all of the applications you can use and run on Ubuntu, you can also use and run on Lubuntu. Sometimes, you just need to do some workaround to get it to work. For example, Compiz can work on LXDE/Lubuntu with some workaround/editing config files. Cairo-Dock on the other hand work out-of-the box, at least with me. Some other programs work without doing anything. Some other need to edit their .desktop file in the applications folder (/usr/share/applicaitons) to show them on the Menu.

If I were you, I would go ahead and install that particular application and see how well or bad it will work on Lubuntu or any other system that I'm using.
    Why you want to do that? two good reasons:

1- When you do that yourself, you will learn and that information will stick in your mind and you will never forget it. It's the best way of learning - this is how I learned almost everything by myself.

2- Helping others by advices, guides, etc. We need to help Linux Community to grow bigger and be better. For me, I see it's my duty to return the favour to Linux (which gave me a solid amazing OS to use and changed my entire life) by helping its users.

I hope you see my point

Keep up the good work!
    I promise I'll

By the way, I see the need of a new guide is increasing on daily basis. Another friend also suggested that. So, I'll work on a new guide to explain more about the Applications you can use with Lubuntu. People should never be afraid or worry too much ... I mean for God's sake this is Linux not Windows and it's so easy to fix things in Linux I'm saying that from experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
    I am having two problems with my laptop.

The first is that the screensaver freezes the machine, no mouse, keyboard or anything will unfreeze it, the only thing I can do is force a shutdown by holding down the main power button on the laptop.

I know this is a common problem, but does anyone know of a fix besides turning off the screensaver, I like to show it off ?

Second problem is that occasionally when the laptop boots it just shows a black screen with the blue tooth message and the mouse, again the only fix is to re-boot.

Any clues ? is it just 11.10, I never had these issues with previous versions, maybe I should use 11.04 on the laptop, do they look the same ?
    Hi,

If you still have these two issues, please start a new thread and post the link in here.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by lazylew View Post
    That explains - thanks for the tip. I'll stick with 10.04 and Xubuntu for now then; Lubuntu will be explored carefully bit by bit (can always replace PCMan if I like it, or upgrade to 11.10)
    Hi again

May I share an advice or tip I have learned myself?

Don't let anything stop you from learning/exploring new things and from having fun by doing that
    I have learned that, specially with Linux.
    Having that said, why to wait? why to stick with one option (even if that option works perfectly with you) while there are many other options might be even better?

If you don't have a spare machine, if you don't want to mess around with your only machine, try to install Lubuntu or any other system in mind into USB Drive. Yes, it will be slower but hey, you are not messing around with your main system at all. Check the first post, there is a guide of HOWTO install Lubuntu on USB Drive.

That what I would do

I have Xubuntu installed on a test machine and I dropped the RAM to 256MB (but it says 242MB). I have it with:
    Mint LXDE 11
    Lubuntu 11.10
    Peppermint 2
    CrunchBang 10
    ArchBang 102011

I don't really like Xubuntu/XFCE and I don't see it lightweight. The performance is slow on such RAM while LXDE runs faster.
    I'm just trying to find out why users are so in love with Xubuntu beside I want to do some other tests.

If you don't have two PCs like me, as I mentioned above, USB Drives are not expensive these days

I'll try to figure out HOWTO Replace PCManFM with another File Manager and once I do that, I'll write a guide about it and post it here. However, if truth to be told, I prefer something much better. Why to replace? why not to improve what I current have installed by default? I have many ideas for PCManFM and if the developers fail to do that list of needs, then, I may think to replace PCManFM.

This is my personal approach that, again, I learned while using Linux and I'm just sharing it with you and everyone else.

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    I spent some time trying to figure out HOWTO Change "Logout" to "Shutdown" but couldn't really get it to work...

I don't mean to be rude or anything but for me, I prefer to spend my time on other stuff rather than changing these things. However, I'll make sure to find a way and will update the first post

I'm glad she does
    No worries amjjawad, thanks for looking into it. Its not a major problem so letting it go for now is fine with me.

I still haven't had one issue with Lubuntu stability. Its been rock solid for my machine.

PS: I actually quite like PCManFM, it functions well for me this far.
    Last edited by Orographic; November 4th, 2011 at 09:16 PM.
    The difference between wisdom and foolishness? Wisdom knows how foolish it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Orographic View Post
    No worries amjjawad, thanks for looking into it. Its not a major problem so letting it go for now is fine with me.

I still haven't had one issue with Lubuntu stability. Its been rock solid for my machine.

PS: I actually quite like PCManFM, it functions well for me this far.
    It's ok, I'm also interested to find out How To change that I can change other parts though whether manually or by using LXMED but need to find a way to change the "logout" perhaps someone better than me would jump in and help

I'm really glad it does work all well with you. For me, didn't face any issue so far as well. I'm still using 11.04

PCManFM is great but if truth to be told, it needs more devoted time. If sometime will be spent over it, it will be even better, no doubt about it. Hope we'll see the new version by 12.04
    PCMan is silent so hope he's cooking for something

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post11422576

I have followed the above but still no additions to the menu.

Rodney
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post11426049
    further to this menu question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast