Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

Quote Originally Posted by psiegel View Post
    Touch-pad would be great, but even that isn't working for me with your mods. Whenever I touch the touch-pad with both fingers, the mouse jumps around at random.
    Hmmm... It's been a bit since I did this all so I am not remembering real clearly but a few of things to check....

1. Be sure you don't have both defs for mouse in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and an fdi file in place.
    2. make sure there is no other fdi in /usr/share/hal/fdi/... that defines stuff for the Synaptics pad
      Code:
      $ cd /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/
      $ grep -il synaptics *
      11-x11-synaptics.fdi
      should only produce "11-x11-synaptics.fdi" as show above - move any other file out of the folder if there is any
    3. ...it's seems to me one other definition too, but I can't remember it now - will post if I recall it.

EDIT: possibly my third point may be to be sure you have both fdi files I posted in the /usr/share/hal/... folder
    Last edited by kgingeri; February 17th, 2010 at 06:46 AM. Reason: grammer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Ok got some resolve on suspend!

Thanks to Mrkus and post #190 I can now turn wireless back on after opening the display from a suspend event!

BTW Mrkus, I am not using compat-wireless from linuxwireless.org
    (http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/comp...33-rc5.tar.bz2)

Thanks!

EDIT: Wireless still won't start for me on power on - I always have to kick it into gear with Fn+F2. Is this everyone's experience?
    Last edited by kgingeri; February 17th, 2010 at 07:27 AM.

Beans

Thank you kgingeri! Looking into the xorg.conf was exactly the clue I needed. It turns out that your tar attached to post #171 includes two different versions of the xorg.conf file. One lives in the root of the tar, the other is in the xf86-input-evtouch-0.8.8-T91MT directory. It's the one in the xf86-input-evtouch-0.8.8-T91MT directory that was necessary to make it work, and I had copied the other.

Also, yes, I too must press Fn-F2 every boot to turn on the wifi. Very annoying!

I wonder if anyone has played at all with the multi-touch screen drivers at this site:

http://lii-enac.fr/en/projects/share...h-devices.html

They have a driver specifically for the T91MT, but I can't quite tell from the site if the driver actually integrates into Xorg, or if it simply runs the demos they created. What I'd really love is to be able to do stuff like zoom in firefox or acroread by using a pinch on the screen. I'm not 100% convinced the driver above would get me that.

I suppose there's one sure way to find out...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by psiegel View Post
    Thank you kgingeri! Looking into the xorg.conf was exactly the clue I needed. It turns out that your tar attached to post #171 includes two different versions of the xorg.conf file. One lives in the root of the tar, the other is in the xf86-input-evtouch-0.8.8-T91MT directory. It's the one in the xf86-input-evtouch-0.8.8-T91MT directory that was necessary to make it work, and I had copied the other.

Also, yes, I too must press Fn-F2 every boot to turn on the wifi. Very annoying!

I wonder if anyone has played at all with the multi-touch screen drivers at this site:

http://lii-enac.fr/en/projects/share...h-devices.html

They have a driver specifically for the T91MT, but I can't quite tell from the site if the driver actually integrates into Xorg, or if it simply runs the demos they created. What I'd really love is to be able to do stuff like zoom in firefox or acroread by using a pinch on the screen. I'm not 100% convinced the driver above would get me that.

I suppose there's one sure way to find out...
    Thanks - I updated the 171 post

I have not tried the driver, but it looks like a good idea! I'll try it when I get a chance.

The features you describe would be nice. I do use EasyStroke for writing and gesture recognition so I'm not sure how well multi touch would live with that. I have defined a Graffiti-like character and symbols set for EasyStroke that works very nicely. My gesture list is long in EasyStroke I do know about and have used CellWriter (excellent software as well) but EasyStroke allows me to just write anywher on the screen.
    Last edited by kgingeri; February 17th, 2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: additional info

Beans

Kgingeri, I also keep the system updated and psb-kernel reconfigured. My problem seems to be inside Xournal. I will try other editing programs to see what happens. I can rotate the screen and the touchscreen seems to work fine in portrait mode, but inside the editing area of xournal it is as if the touchscreen was not calibrated. Thanks anyway, it is good to know that for someone it works

EDIT: Ooops - my fault: I started Xournal before rotating the screen, and shouldn't do that according to the manual... If it is started after the
    screen is rotated, it works perfectly well...
    Last edited by RenataWas; February 20th, 2010 at 03:41 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
    Ok got some resolve on suspend!

Thanks to Mrkus and post #190 I can now turn wireless back on after opening the display from a suspend event!

BTW Mrkus, I am not using compat-wireless from linuxwireless.org
    (http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/comp...33-rc5.tar.bz2)

Thanks!

EDIT: Wireless still won't start for me on power on - I always have to kick it into gear with Fn+F2. Is this everyone's experience?
    I have huge problems with the X hanging after using the touch screen for a short while.
    kgingeri is your touch screen stable?

I need to read back through the thread to see where I might have gone astray on the setup.

In regard to the wifi not starting without FN+F2 combo, I have something in the back of my head that this is a "feature" for ensuring that wifi doesnt start in an airplane, I do have some memory of that there is something rather easy to change to get it working, unfortunate I havent been able to find that page which I read this.

/markus

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[Updated after I got things to work on UMR, some entries are confusing between T91 and T91MT]

What is the best distro to install in order to get most stuff running out of the box ? UNR, eebuntu, moblin...?
    Last edited by dargaud; February 23rd, 2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Mostly running now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Sorry for the late response ppl, life is busy!

@mrkus: Yes my X is very stable - and my whole systems EXCEPT if I get runaway Flash stuff happening in a browser (Firefox or Chrome).
    One thing to watch is that you don't have duped defines in an fdi file (if you have never installed one - then likely you don't) and /etc/X11/xorg.conf - I have been using xorg.conf and NOT fdi defs for X. I would attach it, but I'm at work. I will try to remember tonight. I also attacch and use a nice big 21" monitor and can just use the Conf Display icon (which i have put permanently in my panel) to activate it or deactivate it as needed. I did need to add a define for virtual size in my xorg.conf.

@dargaud: I like to point ppl to James' blog, as most of what he has has been very useful to me and he has answered my questions when asked (Thanks again James!) See him at ---> http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2009_11_01_archive.html or his post #141 -- his username is jamespcole
    EDIT: BTW I love UNR (Ubuntu Netbook Remix) - it works very nicely for me - however it WILL NOT run out-of-the-box on a T91, nothing does that I know of
    Last edited by kgingeri; February 23rd, 2010 at 06:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by mrkus View Post
    kgingeri is your touch screen stable?
    /markus
    Markus, I said I'd post my xorg.conf, and here it is...
    Code:
    #	xorg.conf --- kgingeri's current asettings - Feb 2010

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "GMA500"
        Driver 	"psb"
    #    Option 	"AccelMethod" 		"EXA"
    #    Option 	"MigrationHeuristic" 	"greedy"
    #    Option 	"IgnoreACPI" 		"yes"   # ...originally "yes"
    #    Option      "DRI"                   "off"   # ...will it stop freezing?
    #    Option      "NoDRI"

Option      "DownScale"          "false"
        Option      "ExaNoComposite"     "false"
    #    Option      "ExaMem"             "131072"
    #    Option      "ExaScratch"         "4"
    #    Option      "ExaCached"          "false"
        Option      "IgnoreACPI"         "true"
        Option      "LidTimer"           "false"
        Option      "NoAccel"            "false"
        Option      "NoFitting"          "false"
        Option      "NoPanel"            "false"
        Option      "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
        Option      "ShadowFB"           "false"
        Option      "SWcursor"           "false"
        Option      "Vsync"              "false"
    EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode        0666
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier    "default screen"
        Device        "GMA500"
        Monitor       "Monitor"
        DefaultDepth  24
        SubSection "Display"
            Depth     24
            Modes     "1024x600" "800x600" "640x480"
            Virtual   2704 2704
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier      "Default Layout"
    	Screen          "default screen"
    EndSection
    BTW, I thought I might also post my /etc/default/grub file as well - it has my dimming key Fn+F3 working but not Fn+F4 - interesting and a bit more progress...
    Code:
    # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

# items are zero based 1 per line as displayed in the grub menu
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT="2"
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nosplash mem=786mb pciehp.pciehp_force=1 pciehp.pciehp_poll_mode=1 elevator=noop acpi_backlight=vendor"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
    #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
    # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
    # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"
    ...to change grub you need to use sudo and edit /etc/default/grub then do a 'sudo update-grub'

EDIT: I do have some X stuff defined for my touchscreen in an fdi file and NOT in my xorg. I'll post it later here (@ work currently)
    Last edited by kgingeri; March 2nd, 2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Update:

Beans

I think the whole system freezes if you touch the screen with two fingers at the exact same time (on T91mt). Noticed that while playing minesweeper.
    Unfortunately that's difficult to reproduce

You experience that too?

Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast