Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PPC, Ubuntu 11.10, giving a mirrorserver error.

Beans

Re: PPC, Ubuntu 11.10, giving a mirrorserver error.

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    I gave you 3 links I think, and only one (the first link) has a big long list of workarounds. It has a contents, one section is labelled "yaboot/busybox error". I'm struggling to see how I can make it any easier for people?! It's caused because you went through the arduous route of upgrading from 10.10.
    As. I. already. said. I don't understand 1 thing about Linux.
    Now it's not booting at all, I don't have the busy box.
    And I give up, I'll install 10.10 and explore that, I'll see whenever 11.10 is stable.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pondake View Post
    Now it's not booting at all, I don't have the busy box.
    And I give up, I'll install 10.10 and explore that, I'll see whenever 11.10 is stable.
    I don't think that is necessary. Explain what you did so that you now don't get the busybox error. Are you dual-booting?

Beans

I don't think that is necessary. Explain what you did so that you now don't get the busybox error. Are you dual-booting?
    No, I installed 10.10 first, then upgraded to 11.04 without any problems.
    And then, I upgraded to 11.10 with 1 error that man-db or mandb or something couldn't been installed, and also I noticed a lot of errors in the terminal log.
    After it was done, I tried rebooting and came upon the busybox error, but now when I tried to boot I couldn't even go trough the boot, it couldn't load the kernel.

Well, anyway, I installed 10.10 and upgraded to 11.04 but I won't upgrade to 11.10...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pondake View Post
    While I reboot I came upon an error that linuxvm is missing (No such file or directory).
    It's been bugging me this has. Did you mean vmlinux? There's usually a link file called 'vmlinux' (in the /boot directory) which points to another file with a longer name (which has vmlinux at the start).

If somebody is in this position again (not a newbie to linux) then I think I could have another crack at solving this. I think I was pretty close with my answer on this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11357322 . I think the solution is quite easy if a vmlinux file does exist.

Beans

I have the exact same issue on a Powermac G5 ALS. The Mirror is not good. Now, I don't know much about linux either. I run Lubuntu and Ubuntu on my laptop pc, I used to run Debian Wheezy on this PPC machine. With Cut & paste, I was able to get the airport card to work.

I have reported the error through the logs 6 or 7 times.

I'd really like to have 11.10 as this way, the system would work fine.

If you have a solution, I'm interested to learn about it! (Btw, tried fooling the install gui by saying I was in New York, still had this bad mirror error).

Thanks!

Beans

I said try fooling it with setting your location as the UK not USA! You want London, but you'll probably have the same error.....it was just an idea, but I know nothing about the mirrors in reality.

If your error is vmlinux related then can you boot up from the live cd and see what is in the installed (the one on the hard drive) /boot directory? Any files with vmlinux in the name?

Beans

There is a possible solution to the mirror error on this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1770355 . I don't think very highly of the content of the rest of the post, so I've quoted the relevant bit of the post below:

Workaround: just ping ports.ubuntu.com [Editors note: the italics is a command. Press Ctrl+C to stop it running] and take note of its IP address. Then edit/create the /etc/hosts file and add this line faking an hostname "mirror", alias for "ports.ubuntu.com", with the actual ports.ubuntu.com address you just found:

91.189.92.175 ports.ubuntu.com mirror

(change the 91.189.etc with the actual IP you got from "ping").
    So before you install try this:

When I entered the command "ping ports.ubuntu.com" I got the same numbers he did so you can probably just use those.

To open the file /etc/hosts type:

Code:
    gedit /etc/hosts
    Add the line:

Code:
    Save the file. If you can't save it, you may have to open it first with root privileges. Use the command:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/hosts
    If it asks for a password just press the enter key.

When you get the installed system running you'll need to edit the sources.list file. You'll want to replace 'mirror' with 'ports.ubuntu.com'. It should look something like this http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=11 except you'll have oneiric written instead of natty.
    Last edited by rsavage; October 30th, 2011 at 11:59 PM.

Beans

So I tried a mirror on the same continent I am, I thought there might be an issue using London, UK as a mirror. I am in Canada (Ontario), nor so far from new England thus why I tried to pass as a New Yorker .

Beans

There is a possible solution to the mirror error on this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1770355 . I don't think very highly of the content of the rest of the post, so I've quoted the relevant bit of the post below:

So before you install try this:

When I entered the command "ping ports.ubuntu.com" I got the same numbers he did so you can probably just use those.

To open the file /etc/hosts type:

Code:
    gedit /etc/hosts
    Add the line:

Code:
    Save the file. If you can't save it, you may have to open it first with root privileges. Use the command:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/hosts
    If it asks for a password just press the enter key.

When you get the installed system running you'll need to edit the sources.list file. You'll want to replace 'mirror' with 'ports.ubuntu.com'. It should look something like this http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=11 except you'll have oneiric written instead of natty.
    I will add the new port to the gedit file and let you know how it goes. I have 10.10 working (dual booted with Debian Wheezy for backup - 50 Go to Debian and 200Go for Ubuntu), in the process of upgrading to 11.04; Am worried about having to start all over if the upgrade to 11.10 goes wrong. Oh well, there always next week-end...lol

Thanks for the help!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Quattro5; October 31st, 2011 at 02:06 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro5 View Post
    I will add the new port to the gedit file and let you know how it goes. I have 10.10 working (dual booted with Debian Wheezy for backup - 50 Go to Debian and 200Go for Ubuntu), in the process of upgrading to 11.04; Am worried about having to start all over if the upgrade to 11.10 goes wrong. Oh well, there always next week-end...lol

Thanks for the help!

Cheers!

Update: Added the new port to the gedit file , and got a system. Now running 11.10 on my iMac G5.

Thanks for the help!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast