Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Your physical activity

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Your physical activity

At my age, there is a problem may old people have with muscle loss or loss of muscle strength. It is also very difficult for old people to correct the problem.

I have some weights that I use daily to preserve my upper body muscles. For my leg muscles, I do something similar to squatting; however, I don't squat lower than the level of my office-chair set.

Exercise while you are young. It will benefit you when you get old.

You don't want to become one of the gray-haired old people shuffling their feet as they walk very slowly through a store.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; June 28th, 2012 at 01:56 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

I surf and that's my exercise. Best sport in the world!

I use to do tae bo but the instructer stopped offering classes years ago. That was also fun and gave you a really good workout. When I started I felt like puking for the first month, she was a real slave driver

Beans

Over the last 18 month period, I neglected common sense regarding a bare minimim of excercise.

I paid dearly for it 2 months ago with severe back pain that had me laid out for 3-4 days, and weeks of severe discomfort, loss of work time and so on. I'm still being treated for this.

Now I walk a minimum of 45 minutes each day. Per doctors instructions and my latest round of phyiscal therapy, I'm now on a prescribed daily 20 minute stretching routine -- to avoid pain I do it.

I know this is just the basics, and ideally some aerobic excercise like riding a bike, swimming and/or skatting is also in order.

I've begun weekly Tai Chi classes which provide a good balance from the rapid digital dance, and hopefully will improve my balance so ice skating in winter will be more comfortable.

In any case the moral of the story is, one needs a balance - like someone above said a sitting all the time lifestyle can kill and cripple.

At bare minimum find an excuse to go walking, even something as basic as a brisk 10 or 15 minute to a cafe or a pub for a breakfast or lunch special, quick orange juice, small beer or coffee -- can pay for itself over time in lost down time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DJonsson2008 View Post
    I paid dearly for it 2 months ago with severe back pain that had me laid out for 3-4 days, and weeks of severe discomfort, loss of work time and so on. I'm still being treated for this.
    Strengthening your core muscles will go a long way in preventing back issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cycling. I commute to work by bike, that gives me around 100 km per week. Other rides usually push my weekly ride distance to around 150 km per week. Its great fun and good exercise, but expensive to get started in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Strengthening your core muscles will go a long way in preventing back issues.
    My wife has back problems and Pilates helped her strengthen her core muscles significantly.

Before Pilates she was able to do just about anything not too strenuous on the back, except horseback riding (which bummed her out). Now, she's able to go riding again so long as she stretches in the morning, and gets her exercise daily.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Sorry about the delayed response, been busy.

lol what is with the px90 or whatever its bloody called, advertising man. Its almost comical.

For the price of a bike i could get this wonderful dvd set that tells me how to exercise....

Yeah o.k, buy a bike which is generally useful, or buy a few crappy dvds, which tell me to do so and so exercises, because i cannot use my brain to figure out a fitness regime for myself.

C'mon dude get real.

Why you so keen on peddling the thing, you got shares in it or something?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I do mine at work. My work actually requires me to be fit, so I take time off inbetween.

I usually just do the 100m climb + pick 2 things from the list below.

• Tai Chi (Chen Style)
    • Professional Dance (This is not what you normally see)
    • Biking
    • Yoga

My job also has lots of parts where I do exercise by default.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by ExSuSEusr View Post
    Why would it be locked? The community is more than "what do you use to play media files with." It's a real community - and this is the forum for any topic. We Linux "nerds" need a place to let our hair down and talk about anything that comes to mind - even if it's not computer related. If we don't allow that, then we are undermining the very premise of what a "community" is.

If we can't take some time to help one of our Linux / Ubuntu brothers with something other than how to configure his sound card - then as a "community" we fail. And Linux / Ubuntu isn't about failure.
    The arguing between why the machine (PX whazever) is the best, and if anybody disagrees they are wrong.

Right now, we are breaking records in the US, so swimming is a nice thing to do.
    --Corrytonapple----
    [Toshiba L455-S5008] [Intel Pentium 2.4GHz Procesor]
    [250GB HDD;4GB RAM] [Debian Wheezy 7.0 with GNOME 3][Fedora 16]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345