Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me switch to Ubuntu.

Beans

Help me switch to Ubuntu.

Hi you!

I've installed Ubuntu 12.10 in a separate partition to test it out (it's the full installation, not "try Ubuntu" option). I have a dual-boot setup with Windows 7. I had Windows 8 until I cocked up installing Ubuntu on the same partition. Anyhow, I'd really love to switch to Ubuntu!

Laptop: HP G62, i3, 4GB RAM.
    Usage: Internet surfing (no social media (FB) bullcrap), watching Movies/TV Shows and music (I use iTunes in Windows).
    Devices: iPod Shuffle (iTunes to manage music of course), Nokia Lumia 800 [smart phone] (manage pictures/music etc with Zune) and a DELL Monitor via VGA cable.

Are there any pro's and/or con's I should be aware of? I have been a Windows user ever since my first computer use back in school in 2004'ish. Including that of iTunes and Zune since they're not available for Ubuntu. How would I manage my iPod and phone files etc?

For those that have switched to Ubuntu from Windows 7/8, what's your opinion of it, the good, the bad etc?

And for those who have it running like me in dual-boot, why have you not made the switch yet? Do you plan to?

Thanks for your time. It's 3AM, goodnight

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Help me switch to Ubuntu.

sounds like you have a good start, I would suggest learning how to search the forums , there are lots of posts to help you ....... that said itunes doesn't work on Linux, but you can use a Linux program to put music on player ,I think it is called " gtkpod " , I haven't tried it . you can buy music from the built-in player or from other sources.

Beans

As I understood, you want to install Ubuntu on the partition Windows uses? Good luck w/ that. You could try using PartedMagic to make partitions for Linux. You need EXT4 type of partition for Ubuntu, and an extended Linux Swap partition for Linux to use as RAM. PartedMagic is found on Hiren's boot CD, so you can try w/ that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    sounds like you have a good start, I would suggest learning how to search the forums , there are lots of posts to help you ....... that said itunes doesn't work on Linux, but you can use a Linux program to put music on player ,I think it is called " gtkpod " , I haven't tried it . you can buy music from the built-in player or from other sources.
    Use WINE as a DOS/Win emulator for programs, it's free and easy to use!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by HugoHughes View Post
    How would I manage my iPod and phone files etc?
    I don't and won't have any Apple product, but my sister uses Amarok to sync her iPod music, she used gtkPod before. More options here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...Managers#Linux

And for those who have it running like me in dual-boot, why have you not made the switch yet? Do you plan to?
    I keep Windows around because now and then I must use a program that needs Windows, and for ocasional usage I find more convenient to reboot than to deal with Wine compatibility issues. Another option is to run Windows in a virtual machine but dual booting has served my needs until now, so I won't fix what ain't broken.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

and music (I use iTunes in Windows)
    iTunes doesn't work in Linux
    (manage pictures/music etc with Zune)
    You won't be able to use the Zune with Linux -= I know, I had one.

For those that have switched to Ubuntu from Windows 7/8, what's your opinion of it, the good, the bad etc?
    As long as you can find working alternatives for your Windows apps, and your devices work well, the switch will give you much the same functionality you have with Win7.

And for those who have it running like me in dual-boot, why have you not made the switch yet?
    Need some device drivers and apps in Win7 that Linux does not have.
    Do you plan to?
    No -- see above.

Thanks for your time. It's 3AM, goodnight [/QUOTE]
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!

A question like this will bring up the endless debate, windows vs
    ubuntu. It doesn't have to be either /or, all or nothing. In your
    home you make the rules regarding your computers, use whatever gives you the best computing experience.

If you want join the debate, it is already happening here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=435866
    Last edited by offgridguy; February 17th, 2013 at 03:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

When I no longer need MS programs I will switch. I don't see any reason to jump through hoops to try and get MS programs to run in Linux when I have a dual boot. Use the best tool for the job has been written on this forum many times and I agree.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

For syncing Ipod I would recommend Clementine. I was not able to use Gtkpod, since it crashed whenever I wanted to start it.

Regards.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Originally Posted by HugoHughes

As offgridguy said, those questions are better answered in link he provided. Here it is again.

One should use the operating system(s) that work best for them.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast