Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.04 on an Asus 1215b?

Beans

Re: 11.04 on an Asus 1215b?

Make sure you have the usb drive plugged into one of the usb 2.0 ports and NOT the usb 3.0 port.

It will not work correctly from the usb 3.0 port.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yea Im using the usb2. Anyways, tired of never getting a boot screen i have decided to use ultra iso instead of the recommended app by ubuntu, and there has been some progress. After the asus logo goes away, the screen reads

Code:
    booting form usb
    syslinux 3.84 2009-12-18 ebios copyright (c) 1994-2009 H. Peter Anvin et al
    _    /*<--- cursor blinks forever*/
    Any ideas why i get this yet it fails to boot into linx?

Beans

Post Re: 11.04 on an Asus 1215b?

I had some trouble when installing which may not be related.
    I found recreating the USB helped (ie format etc)

If you press Esc at the boot screen you get a menu, try both
    "UEFI: your usb here"
    and
    the plain old usb.

the latter is probably better.

Running 11.04 64 bit and Windows 7 HP 64
    Sound worked out of the box.

Trackpad is a little iffy both with ubuntu and windows (may try opening it up and moving the silver pad trick)
    Couldn't get UEFI mode to work with either windows or Ubuntu
    Sleep is an issue where it requires removing power and battery is required (although I think (not sure) it may have happened with Windows as well)

Bootbooster never worked nor appeared in bios.

Beans
    Distro

===Trackpad===
    Quote Originally Posted by noobie1 View Post
    Trackpad is a little iffy both with ubuntu and windows (may try opening it up and moving the silver pad trick)
    I too had the problem with the trackpad. I opened it up, (removed 4 screws: the one under the semicircle-like rubber protection, and when the ram lid is open, the three that are in sight. opened the plastic front with a credit card and once open removed both silvery protections and the trackpad works like a charm.

===Ubuntu succesfully installed===
    FINALLY got ubuntu to boot from my usb and succesfully intall. Right now I am writing form ubuntu! What i did was edit the syslinux file and changed
    Code:
    PROMPT 0
    to
    Code:
    PROMPT 1
    What this does is ask you for the boot location when the usb bots. when prompted, type "help" and then enter. wait a few seconds and ubuntu booted! hurray. I found this answer in a bug thread in launchpad, but cant remember the link.

===Sleep issues===
    I too have sleep issues. I upgraded the bios via the tool inside the bios itself to version 0315 and it is still not behaving correctly.
    Last edited by aryzing; May 21st, 2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Made mistake, instead of PROMPT i wrote DEFAULT

Beans
    Distro

Have u guys installed the restricted drivers for the videocard? How are they? last time i tried i got a watermark on the lower right of the screen saying unsupported hardware, yet it worked perfectly.

Beans

Noobie did you have to do anything special to get your sound to work?

I get sound through my headphones when they are connected but I have been struggling to get sound out of my speakers, it seems like I have tried everything short of reinstalling the os.

I haven't tried removing the silver pad yet because my touch pad problem doesn't seem to occurring as often as others but from what I have read it seems everyone who has done it no longer has any touch pad issues.

Beans

@aryzing I haven't tried the restricted video driver yet I was waiting until I fixed the sound issue. I am assuming your sound just worked for you without doing anything special?

Beans
    Distro

yes that is correct. i only performed an ordinary installation of the os (i did check the update while installing, but i suppose that you are up to date with updates)

Beans
    Distro

Have you tried the restricted drivers yet for the video card? I have these issues so far:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1758189

any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I did not have any problems with my sound, I installed the video drivers from ATI's website and they seem to work just fine for me. Although I haven't tried the HDMI yet.

Sleep is still a no go. I gave up on it for now, I installed a Samsung 470 series SSD so it boots just as fast as it wakes up anyways, but it is still anoying...

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast