Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Set "System-restore-point"?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Set "System-restore-point"?

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    There are pro's and con's to update manager, myself I don't even have it installed.
    Well yeah. Me neither, but I think for someone new to linux, it's probably a good idea rather than remembering to use CLI utilities every so often.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    There are pro's and con's to update manager, myself I don't even have it installed.
    I've never had an issue with update manager causing malfunctions since 8.04,but then again I only use LTS's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Not having "System Restore" available in Linux can actually be viewed as a good thing -- as folks in Windows often assume this means restoring the "whole" system, when in fact, it does not. It's not a Time Machine; instead, when some upgrades get performed, Windows squirrels off copies of the system files being changed. When you do a System Restore, all it does then is overwrite some system files with those older copies.

Which is why many folks in Windows use imaging apps (like Acronis or Macrium Reflect) to make full system backups -- which do allow the restoration of the "whole" system.

You can, and should, consider doing the same thing using Clonezilla. It only takes a few minutes to run and can save you HOURS of work should you need to restore your system.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Dear All,

Thanks for all your comments!

Ill keep my semi-automatic off - and check manually once twice a week!

And - give Clonezilla a try!

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!

Good idea

With Clonezilla images you will be able to restore the whole drive. Take new images at regular intervals, for example once a week or month, depending of how much new data you need to save. And take an extra backup if (for example) you just made a lot of new pictures.

If you have a lot of pictures, video clips, music files or other well compressed files, it might be a good idea to keep those data on a separate partition, and back it up some other way, for example with rsync (with or without a GUI). I use Unison for that purpose.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Good idea

With Clonezilla images you will be able to restore the whole drive. Take new images at regular intervals, for example once a week or month, depending of how much new data you need to save. And take an extra backup if (for example) you just made a lot of new pictures.

If you have a lot of pictures, video clips, music files or other well compressed files, it might be a good idea to keep those data on a separate partition, and back it up some other way, for example with rsync (with or without a GUI). I use Unison for that purpose.
    Hi sododus,
    Do I need to take images with regular intervals? The "MediaPlayer", as we call it, is in my sons room, and is only used as a "Mediaplayer". All media lives on a HP server in our basement - so there is not any media at all on the "Mediaplayer"!

Beans
    Hidden!

No, when there are no major changes of the system (only updating), and no personal data (media files etc), you can restore the system from a rather old image (and update the system from there). That's OK.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    No, when there are no major changes of the system (only updating), and no personal data (media files etc), you can restore the system from a rather old image (and update the system from there). That's OK.
    Great - thanks for info

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12