View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 8 of 176 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Method: Reinstallation from LiveCD
    Desktop PC: graphics:Ati X800 GTO2, cpu:AMD Athlon 64 3700+, mobo: Asus A8N-SLI.

I started the LiveCD, and I saw this:
    running local boot scripts (etc/rc.local)

Then it loads xorg, and tells me that I have to use a "safe graphics mode", I click "ok". Xorg dies, and I'm back at the "running local boot scripts (etc/rc.local)" and stucks there.

I tried again later, I configured the Xorg to use FGLRX, unsuccessfully.

It's a pain to restart the whole pc and livecd to find if my config worked, what's the command to reload the xorg and try again? (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace doesn't work of course).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

1. tried to upgrade from 7.04....which shows the download speed from 13-25kbps and total time required to 13-14hrs...i feel is insane. There should be a better way to upgrade. Later found way of doing so thru the alt cd! i think this should be put up right at the upgrade help page of ubuntu!
    I did an upgrade from 7.04 too, (Update manager upgrade+having to do a partial upgrade after the full upgrade)=2 hours.
    Last edited by pablo66; October 19th, 2007 at 05:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My wireless broke. And I've got two instances of nm-applet, and neither mention my wireless... thingy.
    thall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Can+~ View Post
    What's the command to reload the xorg and try again? (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace doesn't work of course).

Try sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

It should stop and start X as well as the gdm.
    Ubuntu User Number #18102

Beans

Happy to share my upgrade experience.....my previous ones were poor at best......

Tried initial upgrade morning of the 18th PST here on the Left Coast, servers were really slow and it chugged away all morning. Came back from work at midnight and we had some high winds and we had lost power some time in the the afternoon early evening. So booted the computer in to Feisty for the last time. Brought up the upgrade manager and began the process, Servers seemed much faster, and it was less than a hour on Comcast Cable connection. I did get a ALSA config popup on reboot which I am happy to say, sound has been one of my pet peevs. It works, and I mean it works well. Thank you Gutsy team, goodbye esound. Overall seems faster, snappier......I like it . No problems with my Nvidia FX5900 video card, or my Sound Blaster Live, Very Happy, hopefully all my upgrades will go this well.
    AMD 64 3000+, 2G RAM, ASUS K8N , XFX GS7800, Linux Mint 9 , WinXP(dual boot/seperate HD)

Stalker's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving how much the United States sucks approaches one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Cool Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Lost Thunderbird and a lot of my settings. I may have done more of an install than upgrade. Can that happen? I am new to Linux but having a great time. Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cudaman73 View Post
    Try sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

It should stop and start X as well as the gdm.
    It worked on feisty, I'll try it on the livecd now, thanks.

Beans

Failed to get the disk to boot thus far.

Thinkpad T61p:
    Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz T7700
    nVidia Quadro FX 570M

Without Safe Mode, the screen simply goes black, and even blindly cltr+alt+F1-ing to sudo reboot doesn't work. With Safe Mode, I get as far as X trying to load, which fails repeatedly, giving me an error message after the sixth attempt. I've tried removing quiet and changing splash to nosplash in the boot options, as well as ctrl+alt+F1 to type in sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver.xorg (which then tells me there's no such thing as reconfigure). Adding noapic irqpoll noirqdebug to the boot options doesn't seem to help, nor does nopaic=noirq nolapic. Finally, live acpi=off just brings up another problem that seems irrelevant to Xserver's failure. Those are all the things I've seen suggested in the black screen off a boot disk thread. I'm going to keep looking for other solutions.

Beans

I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to install Gutsy on an old Compaq system (2.5Mhz, 256MB Mem, 50GB Hdd). I have reformatted the hard drive to remove all old windows, software, viruses, etc...so I should not have any problems. It runs through the install process and gets to an "off-white page" and seems to freeze. I noticed that it had one error when running through install, about midway, that said "CPU scaling frequency not supported". I let the system sit for about an hour and when I came back the screen was blank -- nothing...

So I thought perhaps I should try to download an older version to install. I have tried Ubuntu 6.06, 7.04, 7.04 alternate, and now 7.10. And I have tried Knoppix 5.1.1 --- but none of these will install on this old Compaq system. I have been able to use the 7.10 CD successfully on an even older notebook with less resources, so the CD seems okay...

Error Message with older versions (not 7.10) -
    Int 14: cr2 cf800000 err00000000 eipc020c384 cs00000060 flags00010007
    stack: c00f7da0 c03f129b c0371d8c 00000002 c00f7da9 000f7da0 00000000 000000000

I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the real issue is with the old system. The hardware seems to check out, and it was running windows xp okay until viruses corrupted it. I was able to reinstall XP and it ran okay, but it was my legal version for another machine, so I removed and planned to use for Linux. But no success to date.

Can anyone help me???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I installed Gutsy fresh from the live CD. Seemed to work flawlessly except for waiting to contact certain servers. I installed over a Feisty system that was duel booted with Windows. The only two problems I have so far is that when I suspend to ram, it wakes to a black screen. Suspending worked fine in Feisty. Also when I tried the fast user switch, it also comes to a black screen after entering my login credentials.

System:
    Compaq V2000 (V2010US) Laptop
    512 MB Ram
    Intel integrated graphics
    Pentium M (centrino)
    Dual boot with WinXP

Page 8 of 176 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast