Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem installing Ubuntu 12.10 in an HP laptop

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Problem installing Ubuntu 12.10 in an HP laptop

Quote Originally Posted by dohc97 View Post
    So, I ran the md5sum and the iso that I downloaded turned out OK. I burned the iso again using the slowest speed. I rebooted the laptop and it went thru the splash screen. It then ejected the DVD and asked me to hit OK. Once I did that, the PC rebooted and started in windows 7.

I might try the 12.4 version next.
    Do you mean it went through the entire install process or that it stopped right after the DVD got to it's splash screen?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by COMECON View Post
    If you have, say 3GB of RAM, it wouldn't matter to install 32 or 64 bit, as the mainly advantage of 64 bit is to manage more than 4GB of RAM.
    Catbuntu
    that is not true!

the main advantage of using 64bit OS is to use the full power of 64 bit CPU. RAM is just a bonus. as 32bit with PAE kernel (now default) can recognise up to 64GB ram anyway...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Exclamation Re: Problem installing Ubuntu 12.10 in an HP laptop

I'm having a simular problem on my laptop but my laptop is a HP Pavillion G6 Version, for some reason something always corrupts the ubuntu installation. Ubuntu 12.04 / 12.10 I've tried them both.

This is with running wubi.exe to install ubuntu (could just be that)

Doing either of the following;
    • Boots in to a Black Screen
    • Windows chckdsk finds errors and fixes them, then ubuntu boots into grub
    • Really Slow
    • Freezes and have to restart
    • Running Really hot (with jupiter and power saving mode)
    Not sure why but I think it could just be something to do with the later developed HP Laptops in general.
    Last edited by verzx; December 5th, 2012 at 10:41 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by verzx View Post
    I'
    This is with running wubi.exe to install ubuntu (could just be that)
    wubi installs on a virtual drive inside windows. so if somehting is wrong in windows it could also be wrong in ubuntu.

another option is that disk drive is going bad.

you might also need to install correct GPU drivers.

Beans

I installed the GPU drivers and neptune and put it on power saver and it was still hot. I'm going to try a USB installation tonight and i'll let you know how I get on, thanks anyway mastablasta.

Beans

are you burning the image to disk, or burning an image of a disk as a file onto the disk?
    its the most common mistake I've encountered for people trying to install a new OS for the first time, thought I should point it out

to be sure check the disk in windows, it should contain lots of files, if it contains just a ubuntu.iso or something then thats your problem...

I recommend IMGBURN as a burner rather than the windows default one... Its free and much more intuitive

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by verzx View Post
    I installed the GPU drivers and neptune and put it on power saver and it was still hot. I'm going to try a USB installation tonight and i'll let you know how I get on, thanks anyway mastablasta.
    ah you have Intel GPU only. it's a different issue than OP. This intel GPU should work well out of the box. how did you install newer drivers? did you use the PPA?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    that is not true!

the main advantage of using 64bit OS is to use the full power of 64 bit CPU. RAM is just a bonus. as 32bit with PAE kernel (now default) can recognise up to 64GB ram anyway...
    As far as I know it is, or at least it was. I have a 64-bit CPU but only 3GB of RAM, and all the people I asked told me that using a 64-bit system wouldn't have too much advantages, even it could be worse due to some applications' compatibility with 64-bit.
    Also, Windows x86 was installed by default instead of x64, so I assumed that 64-bit would give me more problems that advantages.
    Apologies if I'm wrong,
    Catbuntu
    Catbuntu (blog)
    CPU→Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,00GHz. RAM3GB. Graphics card→NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS. O.S.→Ubuntu 14.04 «Trusty Tahr» 64 bit
    [TPI Blog | TPI GitHub ]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toriku View Post
    are you burning the image to disk, or burning an image of a disk as a file onto the disk?
    its the most common mistake I've encountered for people trying to install a new OS for the first time, thought I should point it out

to be sure check the disk in windows, it should contain lots of files, if it contains just a ubuntu.iso or something then thats your problem...

I recommend IMGBURN as a burner rather than the windows default one... Its free and much more intuitive
    I am using IMGBURN to burn the iso file to a DVD.

also, the file that I downloaded is just one iso file. to be exact, it is called "ubuntu-12.10-desktop-amd64". how do i get those other files? did i download the wrong file?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    ah you have Intel GPU only. it's a different issue than OP. This intel GPU should work well out of the box. how did you install newer drivers? did you use the PPA?
    No. I have dual graphics, AMD APU Quad Core. HP Pavillion G6-1331ea Laptop. It prompted me with an update for the Graphics card after installing updates using the update manager.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast