Thread: Tamperproof Install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Tamperproof Install

Hi,
    We are complete Ubuntu novices (exclusively Windows experience) but wish to create a 'tamperproof' PC for general use in our canteen, ie facebook, Youtube. We want to prevent downloaded files/data/cookies etc on the PC.

We think running Ubuntu via the Live CD or USB is best but want to be able to create a tailored Live CD/USB that allows us to initially set the network settings (to keep our ISA firewall happy/not bypassed), install Flash etc addons in firefox before the final ISO/Burn.

Alternatively if we could install on the hard disk/USB and then easily rebuild the original config each day that would be a good alternative!
    What is the easiest way to do this?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Tamperproof Install

Quote Originally Posted by micromen View Post
    Hi,
    We are complete Ubuntu novices (exclusively Windows experience) but wish to create a 'tamperproof' PC for general use in our canteen, ie facebook, Youtube. We want to prevent downloaded files/data/cookies etc on the PC.

We think running Ubuntu via the Live CD or USB is best but want to be able to create a tailored Live CD/USB that allows us to initially set the network settings (to keep our ISA firewall happy/not bypassed), install Flash etc addons in firefox before the final ISO/Burn.

Alternatively if we could install on the hard disk/USB and then easily rebuild the original config each day that would be a good alternative!
    Thanks.
    You could give this a try.

http://www.webupd8.org/2009/07/deep-...or-ubuntu.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think something that allows you take a snapshot of your system and restore quickly back to it would be best.

I believe UnionFS allows that to be done by mounting a snapshot of your desired system as read-only and transparently overlaying an empty read-write file system on top of that so that applications can still run normally. I haven't used it, though, so hopefully someone else with more experience can join in here.

Personally, I use Btrfs to achieve the same effect on my netbook, and it's been without any problems so far, but I wouldn't recommend it since the latest release is still unstable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Jackzor View Post
    Wow, Lethe looks like a very easy to implement solution. Nice!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Another option is to simply make a normal install, setup automatic login to a normal (non-admin) user account and then lock down the desktop. Gnome has pretty good configuration options for locking down the system, including the possibiluíty of removing every panel/launcher/menu entry you wish to hide and then locking down menus and panel setup, and disabling any writes to disk...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Log in with the "guest" account - all the Gnome settings will be at default, the guest account is extremely unprivileged so they can't change settings, and the contents of the guest home directory is erased on logout.

Set the "login window" settings so that, after 10 seconds at the login screen, it will log into the guest account.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Log in with the "guest" account - all the Gnome settings will be at default, the guest account is extremely unprivileged so they can't change settings, and the contents of the guest home directory is erased on logout.

Set the "login window" settings so that, after 10 seconds at the login screen, it will log into the guest account.
    I thought the guest account required confirmation from some "real" user, so you can only start it from some logged-in user's session, not directly from the login screen?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    I thought the guest account required confirmation from some "real" user, so you can only start it from some logged-in user's session, not directly from the login screen?
    Ahh... maybe you're right. I'm sure it used to be accessible from the login screen last time I looked.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by micromen View Post
    a 'tamperproof' PC for general use in our canteen, ie facebook, Youtube.
    You are possibly looking for a "lockdown" procedure. Here's a detailed thread that outlines the steps you need to take.

You can also consider using a special "kiosk" version of Ubuntu (Note that the link is a little dated, but will give you the general idea) or using Opera's kiosk mode
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Ahh... maybe you're right. I'm sure it used to be accessible from the login screen last time I looked.
    I just tried it, and the guest account that exists by default is indeed only accessible from logged-in user's session, trying to start it from login screen isn't possible.

I suppose that's because such user doesn't really exist on the system, it's only created at the time you start the guest session and destroyed afterwards.