^good stuff

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Debian wheezy is awesome :)

Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
    Debian 7 non-free firmware

Check out the message box:

If any of the hardware in your system requires non-free firmware to be loaded with the device driver...

I downloaded the tarballs of common firmware packages and unpacked them onto a USB stick. Plug in the USB stick - non free firmware packages, and boot up Debian 7 Net-Install CD. Going through the install process, Debian 7 installer will access the USB stick for the missing non free firmware - needed for your hardware.

Was able to easily wireless net install Debian 7 on my Toshiba Satellite C655 notebook
    Thanks.

From the Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide in the chapter "Using the Debian Installer" is this page "Loading Missing Mirmware" suggests what you did.

;p

Beans

Debian is nice for when you want a solid/stable box and not worried about getting the latest software. If however you wan't newer packages debian is not so accommodating. Great distro though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Debian is nice for when you want a solid/stable box and not worried about getting the latest software. If however you wan't newer packages debian is not so accommodating. Great distro though.
    Backports help, but your right, Debian Stable is more focused on hardening a system then the latest greatest applications

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by epikvision View Post
    Does debian now have out-of-the-box wifi support? Its omission in the previous release was a huge turn-off for me.
    Yes, and if your wifi needs non-free firmware, you can download the non-free firmware to a USB stick and plug it in during install, and then the debian installer will automatically detect and use the appropriate firmware if needed. http://wiki.debian.org/Firmware#Firm...e_installation

The debian installer had no problem using and connecting with my wifi.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I used to always like the latest software, but with the near-total lack of regression testing in most FOSS software, I now kind of enjoy things being out of date, at least the bugs are predictable and I won't get new ones introduced during updates.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    I used to always like the latest software, but with the near-total lack of regression testing in most FOSS software, I now kind of enjoy things being out of date, at least the bugs are predictable and I won't get new ones introduced during updates.
    Agreed. At the end of the day people need to decide which they prefer.

I could probably run wheezy on my laptop as I only have a certain set of apps installed on it and I rarely update it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Agreed. At the end of the day people need to decide which they prefer.
    I think I am going to start running both Debian "Stable" with some select back-ports apps and Debian "Testing" for a while to decide which is good for me. If for nothing else, to do some testing for Debian.

Choice is good.

;p

Beans

Just my personal opinion here, but to willingly use outdated software is just something I cannot do. I'm a manjaro/Arch man.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    Just my personal opinion here, but to willingly use outdated software is just something I cannot do. I'm a manjaro/Arch man.
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. I really tried using debian but I always longed for the newer packages. I mean they are still on xfce 4.8. I ran crunchbang xfce for a while and needed a few newer packages and I went the whole apt-pinning route which just ended in disaster.

I'll stick to manjaro/arch for now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast