Thread: youtube videos takes a lot of process and slows down

Beans

Red face youtube videos takes a lot of process and slows down

Hello,

I am using ubuntu 12.10. I found that while watching youtube videos my fan runs loud and the video slows down after 5-10 minutes of watching, creating a lag. My laptop has pretty good configuration with i7 processor and 1GB of video memory. This is strange and looks like the flash plugin or something is extremely buggy. Can some one tell me what to do?

Thanks
    Vin

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: youtube videos takes a lot of process and slows down

Yes, don't use flash for Youtube.
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/87011

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

i am surprised to see a i7 laptop have only 1gb ram, but that s not the issue
    take a can of air and blow the dust out of the cpu, it is getting too hot in there, also be sure you have plenty of ventilation

you could pause the video change, then change the quality and run this script to play it in a video player and get hardware acceleration and let the GPU do the work instead of the CPU
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    i am surprised to see a i7 laptop have only 1gb ram, but that s not the issue
    take a can of air and blow the dust out of the cpu, it is getting too hot in there, also be sure you have plenty of ventilation

you could pause the video change, then change the quality and run this script to play it in a video player and get hardware acceleration and let the GPU do the work instead of the CPU
    Its 1GB of video memory and not RAM. I have 8GB of RAM and 1GB nvidia GPU. Thanks for the replay though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by magnetpest2k7 View Post
    ... 1GB nvidia GPU. ...
    Give more details about this. I've come across many posts re. appropriate drivers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Give more details about this. I've come across many posts re. appropriate drivers.
    My GPU is sGeForce GT 425M/PCIe/SSE2. The only problem is watching youtube videos in full screen mode. I found that the chromium-browser takes 80% of the CPU. When I run firefox plugin-containe process takes up 100% CPU.