Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: System Restore

Beans

System Restore

sysres has obtained its original goal. It now has all the features and a .deb installer, plus an icon and menu entry.

For the code, see https://launchpad.net/sysres

For the .deb, you can get 1.0 here: https://launchpad.net/sysres/trunk/1.0

The future holds uncertainity, and we hope to enhance it without any feature creep.
    Last edited by LaRoza; September 16th, 2008 at 04:38 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: System Restore

While working on a slightly similar project I came to the conclusion that a very robust and simple way to do that consists of taking a snapshot of everything in certain places and just offering to restore each item as it was just after installing. This would encompass places like /etc, home, and so on.

This is based on the observation that it is easier to detect 'places' (directories) which hold things worth restoring than to enumerate which things you would actually need.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by popch View Post
    While working on a slightly similar project I came to the conclusion that a very robust and simple way to do that consists of taking a snapshot of everything in certain places and just offering to restore each item as it was just after installing. This would encompass places like /etc, home, and so on.

This is based on the observation that it is easier to detect 'places' (directories) which hold things worth restoring than to enumerate which things you would actually need.
    My goal is to have a simple windows with options to backup local settings, grub settings, video settings and perhaps others. It is simple to make, but I am looking for specific files or settings to backup.

I want it to work on working systems, and be able to have more than one restore point to roll back to. This is rather simple, of course.

I'll stick to the settings I listed until I get it working. (Just started it, and it is 0546, and I haven't slept yet, so it is still an infant idea). I have it creating restore points for GNOME at the moment. Just need to be able to restore from them. (A reverse of the creating the restore point)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Looking at individual things worth saving and restoring, those come to mind:

LAN and most especially WLAN settings
    Desktop effect settings
    Access settings for the SAMBA client
    User account data
    Bookmarks
    Cookies
    Mail account settings
    ISP related settings for accessing the internet

Once you start thinking along those lines you can hardly stop any more, I fear. Where do you draw the line between 'settings' and 'data'?
    ch

Beans

Looking at individual things worth saving and restoring, those come to mind:

LAN and most especially WLAN settings
    Desktop effect settings
    Access settings for the SAMBA client
    User account data
    Bookmarks
    Cookies
    Mail account settings
    ISP related settings for accessing the internet

Once you start thinking along those lines you can hardly stop any more, I fear. Where do you draw the line between 'settings' and 'data'?
    I am making a system restore program, not a backup program.

I am sticking with settings for the system, not applications (except GNOME). Tarring up the home directory is not my goal (simpler, but not my goal).

I think I am going to stick with what I listed and perhaps the network settings. Thanks for the suggestions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    I am making a system restore program, not a backup program..
    I do not quite understand the objectives, then. Just out of curiosity: Where do the settings come from which you intend to restore? The original out-of-the-box settings?
    ch

Beans

I do not quite understand the objectives, then. Just out of curiosity: Where do the settings come from which you intend to restore? The original out-of-the-box settings?
    Windows System Restore is the basis for this.

The settings are whatever the user decides save.

One could to the original settings, but this could be used to snapshot the system when it is working.

Basically, when one adds new hardware (such as a video card) and then reconfigures xorg (sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg) they should make a backup, or when editing fstab, etc. This does everything in one step.

It is meant to abstract the configuration. It is for those used to Windows (if I get it working)

The motivations for this:

* Boredom. I haven't slept at all this night (the sun will be rising in an hour or two) and have nothing to do
    * Practice. Need to program something
    * Mildly useful. I see system restore posts on occasion like http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=418309
    * Why not? I have nothing else to do. (Except writing my book, which I am in no hurry to finish)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ah, now I understand.

Good luck, then, and have fun.

Douglas Adams used to take baths for hours when he was in no particular hurry to finish his books. Writing computer programs in that kind of situation is definitely a new one for me. Good luck, there too.
    ch

Beans

Ah, now I understand.

Good luck, then, and have fun.

Douglas Adams used to take baths for hours when he was in no particular hurry to finish his books. Writing computer programs in that kind of situation is definitely a new one for me. Good luck, there too.
    Douglas Adams, one of my favourite writers

I have no publishing company (fortunately or unfortunately) with deadlines for me.

I always code to relax. The book's subject is a bit depressing, to write at least, so I don't want to immerse myself in it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

LaRoza

Sounds like (yet another) worthwhile effort. Keep up the good work!

Steve

Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast