Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Apple charge so much?

Beans

Re: Why does Apple charge so much?

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    When you install Arch & Openbox (or whatever DT/WM), you get to have a great deal of fun, you get to customize the machine to suit yourself, control the size of all the fonts that you couldn't get at in Leopard (amongst so many other aspects) & it will run faster too! You get to be the creative engineer instead of the chauffeur driven site seer

Also, I agree with Frak; Apple's Mighty Mouse is crap.
    And the Mac tax is for people who don't care to do that.

and I agree about the Mighty Mouse.

Beans

I've recommended Mac's to people who's personal machines I used to maintain. They all could afford to buy a Mac, & on my advice they did.
    That was around 3 years ago when I retired, they have all had no problems in any way with their Mac's, & are so glad that they own them, as opposed to the unreliable mal-ware prone windows rubbish that they had been using.

The reason I did not recommend a Linux distro' is because they are not tech' heads, they do not want to be tech' heads, they just want to do what they want to do, when they want to do it, & that is that.

& also I did not want to maintain their machines, that is what I was retiring from.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I LOVE my Mac(book)!!!!
    Course, my parents paid for it <wink wink>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why does Apple charge so much?
    Because people keep paying that price. Why would they lower the prices when there are masses willing to fork over the amount that they set? Simple economics. Not only this, but in their niche, they have no competition. Who else panders to the artsy, holier-than-thou emo geeks?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Soldierboy View Post
    Because people keep paying that price. Why would they lower the prices when there are masses willing to fork over the amount that they set? Simple economics. Not only this, but in their niche, they have no competition. Who else panders to the artsy, holier-than-thou emo geeks?
    You sound like an anti-elitist elitist!

Freedom of choice is great, providing people choose what I think they should choose!

Sometimes we learn to be more tolerant of other people's choices, (it often comes with age).

What is the problem with someone doing or buying something that you wouldn't yourself? Apart from all of the many & varied side effects of the overpopulated consumer based condition that humanity finds itself in of course.

It matters not how much we think we know about anything, there is always a more educated point of view that will nullify all value in what we hold dear.

I find it interesting how easy it is for people to typecast others due to what products they use, wear, drive, listen to music through, contact people via, where they live, what religious views they have, what colour skin they got born with, which language they speak...

Chauvinism is one of humanities biggest flaws, as it divides us, when tolerance & unity is what will heal us.

Beans

Because they target upper class and rich users. Linux users and Windows users are peasants!.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jedimasterk View Post
    Because they target upper class and rich users. Linux users and Windows users are peasants!.
    Psssssss- Finr and Interesting Factisms for December 4th:

OSX install disc: ~$100

Windows Vista Ultimate OEM install disc for system builders (via NewEgg): ~$200

Now, what was that about Windows users being peasants?
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans

Continuing Skripka's comment, when I ran Windows, I felt like I was constantly under siege. I'm talking Defcon 1, imminent catastrophe awaits, final countdown warfare. Maybe this is slight hyperbole, but the more expensive Apple was a welcome alternative when taking into account all of the hours I devoted to securing Windows.

Now I've found Ubuntu, so I welcome the peace of mind without the obligatory incredible shrinking wallet, as it were.
    Last edited by slowth5; December 5th, 2008 at 06:53 AM.

Beans

With any Linux and Unix-like OS you get the same level of security as you do with Macs.

Software / hardware integration is great on my laptop. It's as if HP products were made for Linux and vice-versa

The only noticeable difference b/w a basic Linux and OS X is Apple's sleek looking OS with nice apps on it. Still, the price you have to pay for this gadget is WAY TOO HIGH and the whole thing is UNNECESSARY for daily use.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by the8thstar View Post
    With any Linux and Unix-like OS you get the same level of security as you do with Macs.
    Actually, you get a bit more with Linux due to natural diversification. Macs are much more of a monoculture.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast