Page 49 of 179 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

ok so i did everything and what happens is that with youtube like sites it brings up gnash and it just sits there.... sometimes all that happens is a blank screen but i also get that it comes up with a little media player box that has the streaming bar like 3/4 of the way full and on the screen there are 2 blue circles, and i cant start it, also restarting the movie just pulls up this black and white media player box... also when i go to veoh it just tells me that i dont have adobe installed, although the firefox bar saying that plugins are missing doesnt pop up.... any help? im a newbie that needs alot of help
    thanks for all the hard work
    patrick

Beans

Re: Playing divx and MP3 on edubuntu Hardy

Crap. Sorry about that, I usually read more thoroughly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by zapree View Post
    ok so i did everything and what happens is that with youtube like sites it brings up gnash and it just sits there.... sometimes all that happens is a blank screen but i also get that it comes up with a little media player box that has the streaming bar like 3/4 of the way full and on the screen there are 2 blue circles, and i cant start it, also restarting the movie just pulls up this black and white media player box... also when i go to veoh it just tells me that i dont have adobe installed, although the firefox bar saying that plugins are missing doesnt pop up.... any help? im a newbie that needs alot of help
    thanks for all the hard work
    patrick

Please try the instructions and commands in the troubleshooting section for Flash.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanx this has really helped with my thoggen not reading my dvd's
    If Ubuntu had 31 flavors then we could call it Baskin' Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It'd be nice if we could do most of this stuff via a GUI.

Like editing /etc/gnome/defaults.list, it can't be THAT hard, can it?

We have System > Preferences > Preferred Applications, but its hardly complex enough and doesn't handle VLC/Totem.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by altonbr View Post
    It'd be nice if we could do most of this stuff via a GUI.

Like editing /etc/gnome/defaults.list, it can't be THAT hard, can it?

We have System > Preferences > Preferred Applications, but its hardly complex enough and doesn't handle VLC/Totem.

Most of it can be done with Add/Remove or Synaptic, but it's quicker to do the initial setup with the CLI.

Regarding the default DVD player setup, VLC doesn't identify itself as a DVD player, even though it's the best. Also, it was easier to make VLC default in pre-Hardy versions, but much of the GNOME code was rewritten, so we'll just have to play the waiting game for now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Removing libdvdcss2, getting the medibuntu repositories, then installing libdvdcss2 got me going with gxine and vlc, but not totem. It still says it can't read from the device. Why would I want to use totem if the others work? The color is all messed up in the others, and totem is the only one that I know of that allows me to adjust the colors in preferences.

The colors almost look inverted. Anybody know a fix for this?

*Edit:
    Okay, I installed kaffeine, and it allows me to change the HUE, which fixed my problems with the color.

Danged if a K program didn't work on gnome just fine.
    Last edited by BLTicklemonster; June 30th, 2008 at 06:24 AM.

Beans

I have a quick question regarding the how to.

Due to my hardware (I have a Creative X-Fi soundcard) I blacklisted/removed most/all of the ALSA packages and made the switch to OSS 4.0

My question is, would the fact that I am running OSS instead of ALSA fundamentally change any of the installation procedures in this how to? e.g. package selection.

Thank you for your time and input.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

No sorry, my GUI argument wasn't against your tutorial (your tutorial is fantastic!), I was just making the point that a lot of this stuff should have a GUI to it (such as multimedia defaults). How do you set VLC Media Player to be the default video player? You can't. I saw 8.10 alpha 1 and noticed their working on it, but I really hope they don't mess it up. Multimedia, as shown by this thread, is VERY important.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by altonbr View Post
    No sorry, my GUI argument wasn't against your tutorial (your tutorial is fantastic!), I was just making the point that a lot of this stuff should have a GUI to it (such as multimedia defaults). How do you set VLC Media Player to be the default video player? You can't. I saw 8.10 alpha 1 and noticed their working on it, but I really hope they don't mess it up. Multimedia, as shown by this thread, is VERY important.

Thanks.

What I do is right-click on certain video formats, then go to Properties > Open with and choose a default like that, as I still want most formats handled by Totem. You can set other defaults in Nautilus (file browser) > Edit > Preferences > Media (GUI for GNOME defaults) and System > Preferences > Preferred Applications. It's just a shame we have to register VLC as a DVD player manually, but that's not GNOME or Ubuntu's fault.

P.S. Sorry,just noticed you've been using Ubuntu quite a while and my reply is very newbie-friendly. Saying that, new users could be reading this exchange anyway.
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; June 30th, 2008 at 02:37 PM.

Page 49 of 179 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast