100 Best Free and High Quality Linux Games

http://www.cahilig.net/2011/07/29/10...ty-linux-games

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Only buying native linux games!

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Wow, that long huh?
    If in two years linux doesnt have games then it likely will never happen, and a gamer has got to do what a gamer has got to do. Besides I didnt say you couldnt play the games you have already puchased. Also there are other distractions at this stage in my life which can fill the gap.... kdice
    Dr. Robert Melamede: 'Marijuana is responsible for evolution itself.'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by expelledboy View Post
    If in two years linux doesnt have games then it likely will never happen
    Linux does have games, just not that many good ones. You're unlikely to see the change you want that soon. Large money-making industries have a lot of inertia, and Linux is hardly touting some kind of disruptive technology at present.

The biggest glimmer of hope I've seen lately is the fact that Valve have reported a performance boost when porting their stuff to Linux. Hardcore gamers care deeply about a couple of extra FPS, and are likely to install Linux if it'll give it to them. Those users would then become Linux evangelists within the gaming community and the games companies might take notice. It couldn't hurt Linux to become known as a high-performance platform for gaming.

You never know. I really wouldn't expect anything to change as quickly as a couple of years though. Let's come back to the question in 10 years and see how the land lies.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I think cutting edge gaming for Ubuntu/Linux will not occur until Ubuntu/Linux becomes a popular standard OS for new computer sales. The problem I see is that most people are happy to buy gaming computers with Windows installed, but usually only install Linux when they want to resurrect a dead or dying Windows computer; at which point the computer is too outdated to run current games.

We are left with a paradox: Ubuntu will not be installed on many new computers because current games do not run on Ubuntu; and current games will not be made for Ubuntu because Ubuntu is not installed on many new computers.

The only way I see to break this cycle is for a few developers to make some insanely awesome games and release them ONLY on Ubuntu; with no Windows or Mac support. The games could not be "just as good" as current Windows games, but would have to be much better in order to give Ubuntu the kick start it needs into the gaming world.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Wow. Indeed that is a good idea, but how could the community bring about having someone develop a game exclusively for linux? They make games to make money. So in reality the only way something like that could happen is if Mark Shuttleworth himself funded it.
    Dr. Robert Melamede: 'Marijuana is responsible for evolution itself.'

Beans

well if we get around 200 million we could do it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I refuse to buy non-native Linux games for PC (as I do not run Windows), so as it stands I don't do a lot of PC gaming lol. I do most of my gaming on the PS3.

I would like to get back to PC gaming, and with Valve supporting Linux now, things can only get better for Linux gaming.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Hidden!

This forum will be upgraded before Linux on the desktop is the primary gaming OS... but by then gaming will be done on so many other devices there will not be gaming on the desktop.

To quote Spinal Tap: "I know, for I told me so..."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    by then gaming will be done on so many other devices there will not be gaming on the desktop."
    People have been saying that for years, but I can't see serious gamers straying from the desktop. The controls and performance are simply terrible by comparison.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    People have been saying that for years, but I can't see serious gamers straying from the desktop. The controls and performance are simply terrible by comparison.
    I am playing 3d games via my phone on an hd TV using basically any controller that comes with a recent console with performance and looks rivaling many games that didn't come out that many years ago. That time is coming fast...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast