Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

The only thing that bothers me (correct me if I'm wrong) but it's Ubuntu ONLY. That..idk, upsets me.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    The only thing that bothers me (correct me if I'm wrong) but it's Ubuntu ONLY. That..idk, upsets me.
    Did you read the article?

"This doesn’t mean that Ubuntu will be the only distribution we support. Based on the success of our efforts around Ubuntu, we will look at supporting other distributions in the future."

Can you really blame them for starting with only one distro to have a somewhat stable development platform?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Having a working .deb file means Ubuntu and all it's derivatives will be able to install it (the overwhelming majority of desktop Linux)...and even on rpm distros, there are ways to install from a .deb. And the rest...distros like Arch or Gentoo...I guarantee you within a week or two of the Ubuntu release the Arch guys will have a working version.

So I wouldn't worry too much.
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans

I don't think that you have to worry about this. They are only going to official support Ubuntu. The software will runs on other distros, and there will be community support around it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moocow1452 View Post
    Absolutely, PC and Console Markets are slamming together faster than two very fast things, and you can market a Linux box similar to the Nexus line of Android phones, for both PC and Console benchmarks. So Valve can now compete with Microsoft on the box to television and monitor fronts, so they take up the Hardcore gaming gauntlet that Microsoft has cornered, and be the undiluted living room experience they always wanted to be. Only questions I have is this means anything for Netflix on Linux, since Valve can run make and break their own deals, and how to deal with Valve time on this project when there is a blog that documents everything they do. That and Source Filmmaker on Linux would be epic sauce on Linux. Blender can only get you so far.
    Hopefully this will bring more developers to try and port their games to linux! The future does look Rosey.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Sslaxx View Post
    Is this the year of improbable events happening? A new version of Skype, Unity 4 and now Steam?

Of course, with Steam the proof will be with the support. And just one game so far - Left For Dead 2. What, not even the Portal games? Going by Mac Steam, I guess that we're going to be seeing a lot of indie and Unity 4-made titles on Linux Steam and little else - hope the games'll be good then!
    They are putting a lot of money and effort into this they will want return on investment and my guess is: they made the move because it now makes economical sense to reach this market.

So, I believe that there will be more and more games including mainstream ones as well on the long run.
    Linux cheat sheet

If you can't afford to loose it, if you don't know how to get it back: back it up.

Beans

Yeah but won't value put restrictions on editing/redistributing software?
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Yes, but there is nothing wrong with offering closed source software on in an open source ecosystem. Its all about choice. If the fact that you dont have access to the source and cant redistribute it bothers you, dont install it. I respect that opinion and applaud the people who can stick to it.

I on the other hand just want to be able to play games I've already purchased without having to boot into Windows. And the chance to be able to buy new Valve games is exciting to me. I never played L4D because it never came out on PS3 and I have no Xbox. I also didnt have a Windows install untill recently when I got a boxed copy of Win7 from someone who wasnt using it. But now, with Steam coming to Ubuntu, I have even less reason to keep it installed.
    You can have quality, price, or performance, but you can only choose two.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrgggg can we get this merged with the one in Community Cafe?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2025654
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Post Re: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

This is the best news gaming-related that I think I have read in the whole month of July. I can't wait till they feel the source engine is stable enough and decide to also port TF2 and Portal 2. I should not have much reasons to boot windows after this. Hopefully other companies follow shortly after and I can get to play many more big budget titles on Ubuntu.
    The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast