Thread: Evolution Tasks Missing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Evolution Tasks Missing

Hello,
    Yesterday, I found that the majority of my tasks on Evolution (2.28.3) had just disappeared. I last did a backup of my system 2 weeks ago but in that time important data has been added to my tasks lists on Evolution. I've read around and found that the problem may be fixed by rebuilding evolution-data-server (see here). However, if this means re-compiling evolution-data-server from the package manager, well, I don't seem to keen on doing that unless I can get confirmation of how to implement it, i.e. how do I rebuild evolution-data-server?

I really need those tasks! So, any help much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Evolution Tasks Missing

mobius129a: Let's try the simple things first

Open Evolution Tasks. Look for the check box in the Sidebar, probably called "Personal". Uncheck the box. Close Evolution completely. Re-open Evolution Tasks. Check the "Personal" checkbox in the Sidebar.

Have your tasks now returned?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    mobius129a: Let's try the simple things first

Open Evolution Tasks. Look for the check box in the Sidebar, probably called "Personal". Uncheck the box. Close Evolution completely. Re-open Evolution Tasks. Check the "Personal" checkbox in the Sidebar.

Have your tasks now returned?
    Hi Zill,
    I did as you said but included the other task lists I have in the sidebar. The first time: nothing. After that, I went to check the task settings files under ~/.evolution/tasks just to see whether I still had the .ics files for each task list: I did. Then, I re-opened Evolution and all the tasks were there! This isn't the first time that a few of my tasks have 'disappeared'. Do you know why this is happening, and what I can do to prevent these apparent disappearances? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mobius129a View Post
    ...Then, I re-opened Evolution and all the tasks were there! This isn't the first time that a few of my tasks have 'disappeared'. Do you know why this is happening, and what I can do to prevent these apparent disappearances? Thanks.
    I have no idea exactly why it happens but this is a long-standing "feature" of Evolution.

I have never heard of data actually disappearing and, as you discovered, it usually returns if you uncheck/check your various tasks boxes. The same trick can be used with "disappearing" calandar entries.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Feature or bug?! Ok thanks for the info!