Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot play CD/DVD

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Cannot play CD/DVD

Hi,

I popped an audio CD into the CD drive and a window popped up asking me what to do with it. I chose vlc and then nothing happened. So I open the CD instead with the file manager and tried to play the individual track from the terminal and got these errors

vlc cdda://sr0/Track1.wav
    VLC media player 1.1.11 The Luggage (revision exported)
    Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
    Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
    [0x99f4914] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
    Blocked: call to setenv("ORBIT_SOCKETDIR", "/tmp/orbit-james", 1)
    Warning: call to srand(1317155633)
    Warning: call to rand()

(process:23541): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    Using the fallback 'C' locale.
    [0x9d563a4] main input error: open of `cdda://sr0/Track1.wav' failed: (null)
    It has nothing to do with codecs because I can rip the CD and play the files in any media player just fine. But I just can't play any CD or DVD with any media player.

Thanks.

This is Lubuntu 11.04, I am testing it for my friend.

EDITED: Just booted Ubuntu 11.04 off tthe same machine and CDs play flawlessly, so it is not a problem of the machine or the CDs.
    Last edited by beew; October 5th, 2011 at 08:20 PM.

Beans

Re: Cannot play CD/DVD

Hi,

I am able to play cds on the terminal with commands such as "mplayer cdda://" and "vlc cdda://", but cannot play with the gui (when cd is inserted there is a pop up that ask what to do with it, click say "open with vlc" and nothing happens if I choose open with file manager then it opens, but try to play the actual music file by right clicking nothing happens)

It seems that for some reasons the music players are not able to find the cdrom for some reasons in Lubuntu.

Any thought? Thanks.

Beans

Is this because the media players have troubles recognizing the cdrom? I noticed that Lubuntu is quite buggy in mounting media including external drives, some time it works some time it doesn't..

Beans

Bump!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Is this because the media players have troubles recognizing the cdrom? I noticed that Lubuntu is quite buggy in mounting media including external drives, some time it works some time it doesn't..
    No, it's because cdda, isn't a real filesystem, and when you try to access it like it is, it doesn't work. Use the open disc menu feature and it should work without any problems.

When you try to open with a file manager, modern ones are smart enough to fake it and present each track as a file, however the media players don't access them that way.

I have no idea how to actually fix the file manager to get it to differentiate cdda disks from discs with actual file systems like iso9660 and behave accordingly. .
    Last edited by WorBlux; October 12th, 2011 at 04:20 AM.

Beans

Actually the open disc menu feature doesn't work but command line does (like "vlc cdda://) That is my issue here.

Also, as said above, if I choose open with file manager on the open disc menu, I can see the files but still cannot play it, right click "open" vlc throws a lot of errors saying that it cannot access the files and freezes, gnome-mplayer just stops. But with "mplayer cdda://" or "vlc cdda://" I can play the CD with no problem.
    Last edited by beew; October 12th, 2011 at 04:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Actually the open disc menu feature doesn't work but command line does (like "vlc cdda://) That is my issue here.

Also, as said above, if I choose open with file manager on the open disc menu, I can see the files but still cannot play it, right click "open" vlc throws a lot of errors saying that it cannot access the files and freezes, gnome-mplayer just stops. But with "mplayer cdda://" or "vlc cdda://" I can play the CD with no problem.
    So everything is perfectly fine ONLY when you play the content of that Audio CD from LXTerminal?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I never ever use Audio CDs but luckily, we have some at home.

1- I brought one and inserted in my CD/DVD Drive

2- A Pop-up Window showed up and I choose VLC Media Player

3- I clicked "Play Button" and then a new window popped up:

4- I clicked on the 2nd Tab (Disc), I chose "Audio CD" then finally I clicked "Play" on the same window and ... it works like a charm.

Hope that will help

Beans

Hi,

It works! Thanks a lot my friend! Turns out I have not picked audio CD from vlc expecting that it would be able to pick the media type like in Ubuntu. I guess I am spoilt by gnome.

Is it possible to choose other applications to open audio CD instead of those listed? Is it possible to set it up so that if I instert a CD it will just play like Ubuntu? I am setting this up for someone who is not very keen on tinkering so the least work the better.

Lubuntu is really fast, this machine has 1.6GH cpu and 1g of ram and it takes 5 minutes to open Firefox in Vista and nothing really works, with Ubuntu it is a lot faster, but with Lubuntu it is lightning fast, it is like a new computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi,

It works! Thanks a lot my friend!
    Glad to know that. You most welcome

I guess I am spoilt by gnome.
    +1

Is it possible to choose other applications to open audio CD instead of those listed? Is it possible to set it up so that if I instert a CD it will just play like Ubuntu? I am setting this up for someone who is not very keen on tinkering so the least work the better.
    My guess it's Applications Related issue not a Desktop Environment but I may be wrong.
    I'll do some search and get back to you as soon as I can

Lubuntu is really fast, this machine has 1.6GH cpu and 1g of ram and it takes 5 minutes to open Firefox in Vista and nothing really works, with Ubuntu it is a lot faster, but with Lubuntu it is lightning fast, it is like a new computer.
    I have a feeling that sooner or later, you'll fall in love with it and use it as your primary OS
    Thanks for your nice words ... that's why I joined Lubuntu Team because it simply rock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast