Thread: Make a list of installed programs

Beans

Make a list of installed programs

I want to make a list of all the programs I have installed on 12.04 before I do a clean install of 12.10. I have seen various ways of getting the computer to come up with a list, but this would be a list of **every** program on the PC. What I would really like is a list of the "main" programs and as such I thought a complete list of all the programs referenced by alacarte from the gnome fallback menu would be the way forward.

Is there an easy way of doing this please? Is the alacarte configuration held in a plain text file somewhere?

Please advise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Make a list of installed programs

This is old but it should work, if that's what you need:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...75&postcount=5

I guess you can edit the my-packages file before using it in the new installation so you can remove some packages that you don't wish to install.

Since this is a dpkg list it should also include programs you installed manually with .deb files but if they are not in the repository of 12.10 it can't install them automatically so you will have to do it manually again.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

I found this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1449509

Myself, when I want a list of GUI app's I just go to /usr/share/applications.

Beans

Thank you all for your prompt replies. I made a list of all the applications in usr/share/applications by putting a simple script
    ls > file.txt
    in the folder and running it. I now have a list I can edit etc.
    Thank you

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bob-linux-user View Post
    I want to make a list of all the programs I have installed on 12.04 before I do a clean install of 12.10. I have seen various ways of getting the computer to come up with a list, but this would be a list of **every** program on the PC. What I would really like is a list of the "main" programs and as such I thought a complete list of all the programs referenced by alacarte from the gnome fallback menu would be the way forward.

Is there an easy way of doing this please? Is the alacarte configuration held in a plain text file somewhere?

Please advise.
    Software center can also help you with this .
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.