Thread: Netbook: Power chord causing spontaneous shutdown. Help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Netbook: Power chord causing spontaneous shutdown. Help?

2.6.32-24-generic
    Ubuntu 10.04
    Asus T101MT netbook

Very strange- I believe that when my power chord is plugged in, my computer (inconsistently) behaves as though it has no battery. It acknowledges the battery, has its charge up there in the little indicator. Yet, when the power chord slips out a distance as little as the thickness of my thumbnail, the computer does a spontaneous hard shutdown (although this doesn't happen every single time) It's incredibly easy to 'knock' it loose— it takes as little a small incorrect pressure on the keyboard which slides it very slightly (to the point that I can't see at all that it's really moved)or brushing against the chord. As of early this morning, it's become really difficult to get the chord into a place where it can power the computer at all. My battery ran out and I couldn't get the computer to charge it until this afternoon, with very delicate placement.

I don't believe it's an issue of heat, because the fan does not turn on nor does the computer feel hot when this occurs. This problem came out of nowhere, it seems to me. I didn't update anything, I didn't drop my computer, my chord has never been so sensitive that the slightest movement would cause it to stop powering my comp, and I have NO idea why I'm able to run it on battery, but when the chord is plugged in with the battery present and becomes loose it shuts off my computer.

I don't know much of anything about what to look for in the logs, but I didn't see any specific mention of any kind of failure or problem except "snd_pcm_delay() returned a value that is exceptionally large" which has always been there. Please ask for logs if it would help.

I think my computer is skipping important boot-up processes. It has done that on the rare occasion; GDM fails to load, some daemon doesn't start, etc. Perhaps this is relevant?

This problem began not too long after a system update, I realize. I didn't allow it to upgrade the kernel, but perhaps I left in something which relates to it. Could this be a problem, too?

Thank you very much for your time!

Edit2: Oh God, now I'm not even touching it. I really need help. Once the battery runs down, it's near impossible to charge again because of the persnicketiness of this machine.
    Last edited by mrspacklecrisp; October 19th, 2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Added more information.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Netbook: Power chord causing spontaneous shutdown. Help?

Bump out of desperation! Please, please help me!