Thread: How to make 8-bit music?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

How to make 8-bit music?

I want to make music that sounds like something from a NES game. (i.e. with 8-bit sounds).
    I usually use lmms for creating music, but I can't find sounds that would work with what i'm trying to do (although lmms has some decent 8-bit sounds, there isn't really enough variety to make a whole song).
    Can someone please suggest a way for me to make some 8-bit music?
    Thanks in advance...
    ~

Beans

Re: How to make 8-bit music?

Software synth to MIDI file?

Theres a python library out there that makes MIDI Synth music.
    ------------------

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Other than lmms, i don't really have any experience with creating music, can you please explain what you're talking about?
    ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you have VST support for LMMS, there are some free plugins from the Windows world that makes pretty good 8-bit sounds. SN-EMU is nice for sounds from the Sega Master System, and Chip32 is incredible for drawing your own waveforms (variable-width square, sine, triangle, or whatever way you want to draw it, and can be filtered). Though not all work (some aren't compatible with FeSTige yet, or rely on its windows host to make the control panel), there's a nice plugin at http://woolyss.com/ to browse.

Conversely, try installing GoatTracker (damned powerful music creator for actual Commodore 64 sound, but incredibly complex) or MilkyTracker (and numerous chipsound-style tutorials for it are on YouTube).

Some might not like this route, but if you can live with using WINE the site I mentioned also has chiptrackers in Windows that may very well work with WINE (FamiTracker, MVS Tracker (FM-synth from the arcades), Vortex Tracker (Sinclair Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST), and TFM Music Maker (Genesis FM-synth) all work well. Many even accept MIDI input.) to test.

There's a lot of different ways to explore, it's all a matter of finding what you're most comfortable with.