Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu gnome and UNE (netbook) differences?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Ubuntu gnome and UNE (netbook) differences?

A question for you guys- is regular Ubuntu somewhat different from UNE (netbook) besides interface- additional kernel features, drivers, anything? Or it is the same only interface different? Thank you
    Interesting thing is that Kubuntu has the same install disc for both- desktop and netbook. Ubuntu has different discs

Beans

Re: Ubuntu gnome and UNE (netbook) differences?

yes, it's just the ui.
    netbook also has the gnome desktop, you can select at the log in screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There's nothing different from the standard Ubuntu except the interface (kernel, drivers, etc are all the same). It just uses Unity instead of the standard Gnome session.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You also get shotwell instead of f-prot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My netbook didn't work properly with the UNE (unity) interface. It would show the desktop background but only the background, no functionality available. UNE includes the regular GNOME interface, so I was able to use UNE but only by making it boot into the normal GNOME interface.

Apparently, other netbooks have encountered the same problem.

It may have something to do with the "poulsbo" video chip (on this asus-1201hab netbook and a lot of others) not working with the unity interface, but i'm not sure.
    Want two extra gigs of hard drive space?
    Support running Ubuntu from a compressed file!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by julianb View Post
    My netbook didn't work properly with the UNE (unity) interface. It would show the desktop background but only the background, no functionality available. UNE includes the regular GNOME interface, so I was able to use UNE but only by making it boot into the normal GNOME interface.

Apparently, other netbooks have encountered the same problem.

It may have something to do with the "poulsbo" video chip (on this asus-1201hab netbook and a lot of others) not working with the unity interface, but i'm not sure.
    Unity will not work if you don't have 3D capable hardware and/or drivers. As far as I can tell, the Poulsbo situation on Linux is still in the same crappy situation as it was from the start.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu gnome and UNE (netbook) differences?

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    yes, it's just the ui.
    netbook also has the gnome desktop, you can select at the log in screen.
    thanks. but wouldn't it be worth to make the same cd image to download for regular ubuntu and une then?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Well, Kubuntu chooses automatically which interface to show, with the option to manually override the setting. Both interfaces are part of KDE proper, so there is only one desktop environment that does both netbook and the usual.

The difference between UNE and Ubuntu is bigger in that they can be treated as different (similar) environments, with UNE running Unity on a subset of the Gnome stack. UNE is a bit more finger-friendly, which is why I use it with my netbook, but I'm leaning towards just installing Kubuntu and using E17 (in the repos) when I need the extra battery life or other resources. As of now, KDE is a lot more finger-friendly and functional than UNE (albeit a bit heavier, the last time I checked).
    Last edited by inportb; October 5th, 2010 at 03:56 PM.
    my shiz: http://inportb.com/
    use Dropbox if you need an awesome free file hosting service; please follow my referral link for an extra 256MB of free storage.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by inportb View Post
    Well, Kubuntu chooses automatically which interface to show, with the option to manually override the setting. Both interfaces are part of KDE proper, so there is only one desktop environment that does both netbook and the usual.

The difference between UNE and Ubuntu is bigger in that they can be treated as different (similar) environments, with UNE running Unity on a subset of the Gnome stack. UNE is a bit more finger-friendly, which is why I use it with my netbook, but I'm leaning towards just installing Kubuntu and using E17 (in the repos) when I need the extra battery life or other resources. As of now, KDE is a lot more finger-friendly and functional than UNE (albeit a bit heavier, the last time I checked).
    checked unity on youtube- damn, une looks like unnecessary and not space-saving thing, (gnome-do)&(docky-autohide) should work better for me.

thanks for your comment mate

ps. and no panels, of course
    Last edited by Zlatan; October 6th, 2010 at 10:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

also with kubuntu kde netbook you don't need to have 3d effects for it to work, it will detect no 3d and still work. and i think it's really good. I have my regular laptop using the kubuntu netbook and i'm really happy with it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast