Thread: How are people finding ATI's proprietary drivers for Dell Studio GPUs these days?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How are people finding ATI's proprietary drivers for Dell Studio GPUs these days?

Hi everyone,

I have a Dell Studio 17 (specifically the 1747), with an ATI Radeon HD 4650. Right now I'm using the open-source drivers, but I've noticed that the fan runs way more than it does on Windows 7, my laptop gets quite a lot hotter, and the battery life is about a third shorter, and I was thinking that the proprietary drivers might help with some of these things (and maybe let me access some temperature sensors? I can't get a single one).

In researching this all, I found people having a lot of difficulty with the fglrx drivers and the AMD's own proprietary binaries, but all of the posts I found were from 2008 and 2009. I haven't really been able to find anything out there that was particularly authoritative on the pros and cons of each driver... So, I was wondering if anyone with any current experience with these drivers on any Dell Studio computer could share their wisdom with me. Should I install them? Might they fix my problems? Will it brick my laptop? And, should I go with the older ones in the Ubuntu repositories or download the newest binaries (currently version 10.9) from the AMD website?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: How are people finding ATI's proprietary drivers for Dell Studio GPUs these days?

I have a XPS 7100 desktop with a Radeon 5450, and the propriety drivers work great.

Beans
    Distro

Re: How are people finding ATI's proprietary drivers for Dell Studio GPUs these days?

Bump! That's good to hear, but I was hoping to see how many people report the same, and if anyone has had deal-breaker problems like the ones that seemed to have existed a year or two ago. Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro

For what it's worth, I installed fglrx (from kde's restricted hardware drivers tool) and the display looks good, and the temperature is down, and I can see the temperature by running
    Code:
    aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-gettemperature
    though I can't get lm-sensors to pick this up. But the splash screen is 640x480/looks ugly, and compositing stopped working, and I can't get compiz to work. So, all around sort of a lateral move rather than a step forward. Just in case anyone was interested...