Thread: Missing Gamepad buttons: GigaWare PS3/PC wireless Gamepad

Beans

Question Missing Gamepad buttons: GigaWare PS3/PC wireless Gamepad

I stopped at Radioshack earlier today and got one of their GigaWare series stuff, specifically the wireless PS3/PC controller (meant to be played with the PS3 and on the PC via dongle)

at first I had problems with getting it to connect, but I was able to get around it by doing the manual search function which was press the connect button on the dongle and then the PS button on the controller, then held Select and L3 for 3 seconds, connection solved.

Anyway.. After getting it setup I went to the joystick calibration program, it only listed 13 buttons, four of which are oddly the dpad, which would of meant that it should be showing 16 buttons instead of 13 on the list.

After pressing the buttons, it showed that the square circle and the x button did not register as actual buttons. I went into the Logical Tab and looked at what was coming out in the readings, it showed that all but two buttons, the start and select buttons, were analogue (I dont own a PS3 at the time of writing this post so I dont know if its a actual feature of the PS3 controllers or if radioshack actually did something interesting with this)

anyway back on track. it showed that it was reading the three missing buttons, but not considering them as actual buttons.

the buttons are also in a weird order, select, L3, R3, and Start are buttons 0 to 3 in that order, which would make some games require the use of those buttons instead of the buttons one would normally use.

So here are two things I'm looking help for.

Main Problem: How to get Ubuntu to recognize the missing buttons as actual buttons.

Secondary Problem: Rearrange the button order to match a more comfortable setup.

Can I get any help on this please? Sooner the better would be nice, I have a 12+ hour ferry ride coming in the morning to get back home on a island in South East Alaska, and I'd like to have atleast some ability to use my new gamepad to play some of my games

Random Side Note of Observation: "I Wanna Be The Guy", a really buggy game, seems to run better through Wine than within a actual Windows OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Missing Gamepad buttons: GigaWare PS3/PC wireless Gamepad

Beans

Hi, were you able to resolve this?

I bought the exact same controller and am running into the same problem.

Thanks!

Beans

So in SuperTux I can map to the all of the buttons, including the 3 'missing' buttons. So that means Linux is indeed recognizing it.

However, I can't get XBMC to log the events of the 'missing' keypresses, whereas all other buttons are recognized and logged.

So if jscalibrator + XMBC can't recognize it, but Supertux can, I'm wondering where the problem might lie.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Missing Gamepad buttons: GigaWare PS3/PC wireless Gamepad

I have a question that's a little off topic, but this is the only GigaWare post I could find.

I just purchased a PS3/PC GigaWare Wireless Controller, just to experiment with game controller interfaces.

I was able to link the controller with my PC with no problem.

My difficulty is replacing the battery cover. Whether the batteries are in or out, I can't get the cover to snap into place. The two little hooks at the bottom won't engage.

Is there a technique to snapping the cover into place? I don't want to risk breaking anything.

Thanks.

Beans

hey, i was having a similar problem, but with a Sony Dualshock 3 sixaxis controller. link in the thread was very helpful for me as well, thanks!

homots : if you havnt already broken it... I had a similar problem with the battery casing on a third party PS3 controller, heres how i fixed it: if the casing covering, specifically the little latch that is supposed to "snap" when it's in place, is made out of plastic, then just heat it up with a lighter or something (very lightly) and bend it in a way that will make it fit more snugly. In my case, I held the battery cover upside down and heated the clamp with a lighter, and let gravity pull the notch open more, then let it cool and voila! fits perfectly now. hope this helped.
    Last edited by tylenol187; September 12th, 2010 at 03:47 AM.

Beans

Cool Re: Missing Gamepad buttons: GigaWare PS3/PC wireless Gamepad

Thanks for the info. That's exactly what happened.

According to the folks at the place I bought it, the latches were bent after I bought the controller. I don't see how the plastic latches could have gotten bent without breaking in the first place, unless they were bent all along.

The latches are broken now, and it's no biggie. The cover now fits into place, and I can tape it in.

Thanks again for getting back.