Thread: After installing ImageMagick, Trouble Installing PerlMagick

Beans

After installing ImageMagick, Trouble Installing PerlMagick

Hi,
    I have just installed ImageMagick but when I tried to install PerlMagick it bombed horribly at the make stage giving out pages of error messages. It may have to do with a difficulty in specifying the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a system-wide manner i.e. I used "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib" which, of course, only works for the current session. Does anyone know a system-wide way to do this? Googling produced no confirmed way.

Details:
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

ImageMagick Installation as follows:
    Installation of ImageMagick package: downloaded from ftp://ftp.imagemagick.org/pub/ImageM...eMagick.tar.gz, tar xzvf, ./configure, make, make install.
    Tested installation via "/usr/local/bin/convert logo: logo.gif" which failed via inability to find libMagickCore.so.4 and libMagickWand.so.4 libraries.
    In /usr/local/bin:
    ldd convert --> shows locations of linked libraries with the two above being unfound
    whereis libMagickCore.so.4 --> /usr/local/lib/libMagickCore.so.4
    whereis libMagickWand.so.4 --> /usr/local/lib/libMagickWand.so.4
    env |grep LD_LIBRARY_PATH --> environment variable didn't exist
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib --> only works in the current session i.e. caused the "/usr/local/bin/convert logo: logo.gif" test to work i.e. produced a correct logo image which I viewed with eog.

PerlMagick installation:
    PerlMagick-6.59 downloaded,
    In the Makefile.PL file I added "-I/usr/local/lib/" to reflect the above information from the ImageMagick installation. As I said the make command generated a great deal of error messaging which I won't give here unless someone can suggest a subset of the messaging that I should provide.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Beans

Re: After installing ImageMagick, Trouble Installing PerlMagick

I had the same problem with LD_LIBRARY_PATH on Centos 5.4 and solved the problem by adding a parameter to ./configure:

./configure LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib'

More info:
    http://www.imagemagick.org/script/ad...stallation.php

The same solution might work for Ubuntu.