Thread: On Ubuntu, NVIDIA 3rd party drivers, and screen refresh rates

Beans

On Ubuntu, NVIDIA 3rd party drivers, and screen refresh rates

I have a laptop computer, containing a GeForce 9600M GS, using an external CRT (eek!) monitor, running the latest release of Ubuntu(64 bit) - up to date with updates.

I also installed the NVIDIA driver via.

System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers

Currently, the Hardware Drivers interface tells me that the green-lighted "Activated and currently in use" driver is:

"NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current) [Recommended]"

My issue:

In
    System -> Administration -> NVIDIA X Server Settings
    then clicking the
    X Server Display Configuration
    tab, i see the following, under the Display sub-tab:

Where it says 60Hz, in other operating systems I can have up to 72 Hz. 60 Hurts my eyes a little, and I'd like 72 as the monitor and card can support (under the same resolution!).

Question:

Can I allow the 72Hz under these settings to be selected, as I can in other operating systems, and if so how can I do that?

Please keep things simple for me, whilst I'm a technical person Linux is not familiar to me.

Beans

Re: On Ubuntu, NVIDIA 3rd party drivers, and screen refresh rates

I'm assuming you can't simply click on where it says 60 Hz and switch it to 72?

It's possible that nVidia's proprietary Linux drivers simply don't support the switch... in which case there isn't much anyone can do except for an nVidia employee.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    I'm assuming you can't simply click on where it says 60 Hz and switch it to 72?
    Correct. 60Hz is in fact the only option, including any lower refresh rates.

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    It's possible that nVidia's proprietary Linux drivers simply don't support the switch... in which case there isn't much anyone can do except for an nVidia employee.[
    I was afraid this might be the case, I'm disappointed if it is so, but thank you for your help!

Beans

if it's a huge deal, you could forego nVidia's drivers altogether (& 3d gaming) and use the system -> preferences -> monitors tool to configure it.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

I tried your idea, and I've received the exact same: 60Hz, and nothing else.

Does it require me to uninstall the NVIDIA driver for this to pick things up? Something like that?

It is a big deal, I have no real heavy graphics requirements. I'm willing to use any solution to give me 1152*864 @ 72Hz. All I want to do is run Eclipse, which runs fine at my current settings, but makes me dizzy on a CRT monitor.

Beans

I've been poking around a bit trying to set this manually with no luck all today.

I tried setting the refresh rates that pop up in my monitors configuration menu (the actual hardware button on front of the monitor), and my system didn't survive when I restarted X (I just got a black screen with a flashing | that allowed me to type, but no commands seemed to do anything).

I also tried to get my monitors ability through

ddcprobe

with no luck, as it gave me an

Edidfail

error. I've tried a reinstall of the drivers, made sure they're up to date, and i'm out of ideas.