Thread: GSM Modem - Password required

Beans

GSM Modem - Password required

Hello!

I think that I'm being stupid and must have missed something, but...

I have a USB GSM modem that was supplied when I started using a KCELL (Kazakhstan) payg mobile deal. Connecting to KCELL works just fine, Network Manager took care of everything.

Unfortunately, I am very disappointed with the speed of the service I am seeing. (If anyone has any tweaks that they'd like to share about the speed of these setups, I'd be delighted to hear them!) and want to try with a different sim card.

When I put the new sim in, I can create a new connection, no problem... but when I try to connect, I see the following dialog:

Mobile broadband network password
    A password is required to connect to 'Beeline'
    ZTE Incorporated ZTE CDMA Technologies MSM

The dongle is listed by lsusb as:
    ONDA Communication S.p.A. ZTE MF636

I use this sim for data with my mobile, no problem, but the password field is blank.

I have re-flashed the dongle to a non-KCELL branded firmware, to no particular effect.

Am I missing something?

All input appreciated.

Charlie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: GSM Modem - Password required

Disable SIM PIN and try recreating connection in NetworkManager. If still ask you for password enter password which provider gave you.

cheers!

Beans

Hi Simo

Thanks for your response.

I disabled the sim-pin, and tried re-connecting... it still asks me for a password. The thing is, that there is no password supplied. I don't think that one is required. The same is true for both the beeline and KCELL sims that I am playing with.

However, I tried typing 'blank' in the password field. I failed. I typed 'blan' instead, and then network manager reported that the network was connected. However, I don't seem to be able to transmit any data!

The 'blan' thing is curious. 'blank' doesn't work. Nor does 'password' 'user' 'pass' or a whole bunch of other things I have tried.

Any more suggestions?

Charlie

Beans

Ah!

OK. It suddenly flashed into life. Many thanks!

Charlie