Thread: 10.04: I want to replace plymouth with usplash. Dependencies won't let me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy 10.04: I want to replace plymouth with usplash. Dependencies won't let me

Hello everyone. I have Radeon HD 4550, which works best with proprietary drivers(fglrx). Okay, so plymouth fails to cooperate with them, because of different memory spaces they're running in. In synaptic, I clearly see splashy and usplash. Usplash has no problems with fglrx, so I want to replace plymouth with it. When I try to do this, I see that many-many programs such as acpid, alsa-utils, avahi-daemon, gdm, Xorg, apt utils well, almost everything, depends on this "little splash screen" . What the hell, seriously? Why do you include other splash screens in the repo? Why do you invent unnecessary package dependencies just to keep users with a buggy splash?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 10.04: I want to replace plymouth with usplash. Dependencies won't let me

There is always Debian if you want more control... I love Ubuntu, but sometimes I just go all out Debian, because of control.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by polki@mac.com View Post
    There is always Debian if you want more control... I love Ubuntu, but sometimes I just go all out Debian, because of control.
    Prior to this I've been in love with Ubuntu, now it's a sympathy There are some other threads appeared since mine, so it appears that plymouth is now in "core".

Somebody opened a bug ticket on lauchpad about this:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...th/+bug/531331

So I guess me and others would post there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mehabox View Post
    Okay, so plymouth fails to cooperate with them, because of different memory spaces they're running in.
    What is happening?
    Fglrx should work with plymouth.
    Have you tried removing splash from the kernel options during boot?
    Support 7z in default installs!!!: Click Here

How to use code blocks to post command output: Click Here
    Official Ubuntu Documentation

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lavinog View Post
    What is happening?
    Fglrx should work with plymouth.
    Have you tried removing splash from the kernel options during boot?

Wait... now I am confused... Does the ATI proprietary driver is KMS enabled? because I thought that was what was shattering Plymouth...

Plymouth is a great piece of software! Good call from Ubuntu in using it... the sad thing is ATI proprietary drivers

Beans

KMS is not supported by fglrx, but plymouth should still work without KMS.
    Support 7z in default installs!!!: Click Here

How to use code blocks to post command output: Click Here
    Official Ubuntu Documentation