Thread: Wine vs PlayOnLinux?

Beans

Wine vs PlayOnLinux?

I'm using ubuntu 10.04, and besides games, there are some adicional software that I need that doesn't run on linux, such as Phothoshop cs5, so knowing this, wich one should I chose?

thanks in advance =)

Beans

Re: Wine vs PlayOnLinux?

PlayOnLinux is just a front-end to Wine. You can have Wine without POL, but you can't have POL without Wine.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans

so long story short, just install wine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

in my opinion, yes.

Beans

another question:
    since basicaly what wine does is change the system calls to match the ones in windows, won't that turn the OS into a pseudo-windows-wanna-be? as in, won't it affect performance?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

overall? no.

Of the windows apps your running? Not really, depends on well the app plays with wine, most things are fine but d3d can be slower.

Wine
    Is
    Not an
    Emulator
    Last edited by jerome1232; June 12th, 2010 at 01:08 AM.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You may also want to try Cross-over. It as a more "advanced" windows layer. I haven't had much luck running games on it, but it has pre-made installers for most of the common windows programs (office, adobe, photoshop ect...). I believe you can download a trial off their website.

Beans

I think this will be useful to you: http://wiki.winehq.org/Debunking_Wine_Myths
    Some people argue that since Wine introduces an extra layer above the system a Windows application will run slowly. While technically true, Wine is no different from any other software library in this regard; even newer versions of Windows must load extra resources to support older applications.

Importantly, the combination of Wine and Unix can sometimes be faster than Windows itself. This is especially true when the system has good drivers and the application isn't exposing any Performance Related Bugs.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans

Thanks for all your help guys =)
    I'm going to install wine then. I'm guessing that no matter how much a program evolves, there will allways be arguments to oposite and otherwise.
    If anything comes up, I'll make a report here.