Thread: downloading and using .tar

Beans

downloading and using .tar

Hi all.
    I've finally installed my linux on an old pc that was collecting dust and am trying to get into ubuntu.

How do you install a new app that you've downloaded using tar? I have downloaded the flash plugin, but I can't get it to install.

Keep in mind I'm on UBUNTU 5.04 (i know it's old), but am hoping flash will still work on this.

also, when i installed ubuntu (from a disk) i don't think i ever created a root account, or if i did I can't log in as root anymore. any ideas on that one?

any help is appreciated.

Beans

Re: downloading and using .tar

Use this wallpaper to see commands for installing from source. Note that installing from source assumes the tar or tar.gz file is located in your home directory (the one with your user name).
    Arch i686 - Eee 701 Server Ram 2gb HD 4gb ext2/no swap
    Arch i686 - Dell Mini 10v Ram 1gb HD 160gb ext4/ext3/ext2
    Ubuntu LTS and Debian Squeeze Servers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

First off I would recommend getting a newer version of Ubuntu, you may run into a lot of issues trying to compile new software using an old kernel and old versions of Gnome/glib. I know I have at times.

Obviously check the repositories first for the package you're trying to install but if its not there the standard method of compiling from source starting from a tar.gz would be

$ tar zxvf application.tar.gz
    $ cd application/
    $ ./configure --prefix=/usr
    $ make
    $ sudo make install

Sometimes if the developer has set up an Autotools build environment before the configure you might have to run

$ ./autogen.sh

but this is more commonly the case for code that comes from git/bzr/subversion branches. Definitely read the INSTALL and README documents for anything you want to compile.

As for the root account, Ubuntu doesn't set a password for it during installation, it's more common to prefix your commands with sudo to run as root. However, to load a root shell you can always:

$ sudo su -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 5.04 is ancient. Don't use it. I doubt Flash Player 10 would work on it, and I'd be surprised if Flash Player 9 would work. Any version of Flash Player that's older would be next-to-useless.

Ubuntu has never had a root account; instead you use 'sudo' to temporarily gain root permissions.

In later versions of Ubuntu, you simply install the 'flashplugin-nonfree' package using your package manager, so don't bother with the tar.gz. Just download Ubuntu 10.04 and it will be able to retrieve this package for you.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Ubuntu 5.04 is ancient. Don't use it.
    +1 to this. It's no longer supported, so isn't receiving any security updates. Upgrade to a supported version immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by datafiend View Post
    How do you install a new app that you've downloaded using tar?
    Generally speaking: you don't.

There shouldn't normally be any need to install software from a tarball. It's messy and can lead to an unstable system. Software on Ubuntu is installed through the built-in package manager that will download, decompress and install the package for you. Go to System > Admin > Synaptic Package Manager (or on newer versions Applications > Ubuntu Software Centre)

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

You wouldn't need to build it either. Just extract it and mv the driver to the proper place.

I also agree. Being 5.04 isn't supported anymore (no more security updates), I would upgrade as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I think we shouldn't support 5.04 version installs (duh), they are full of security holes, unsafe, etc.
    Neither an upgrade from it to 8.04.4, 9.04 or 10.4, the "way"is too long to make an upgrade a succes.
    IMHO A clean install would do.

Beans

ok guys - i get the hint d/l newer version of ubuntu. I guess 10.04 is the latest?

thanks for the help.