Page 47 of 87 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: SiS 771/671 Mirage 3 Video Drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: SiS 771/671 Mirage 3 Video Drivers!?!?

To everyone

Thanks very much - I have it working now and I am very happy.

I had upgraded using the upgrade manager. My previous arrangements to make the video card work ported between 9.04 and 9.10 but not to 10.04.

I have now reinstalled using the disk. I followed the instructions provided by you guys (thanks) and it works.

I did the same things as before (I made a typo above about the folder for the drivers - I had put them in the correct place).

Thanks again - another problem solved by disk install (rather than online upgrade) and the very useful solutions posted here.

Thanks to the person who wrote the drivers.

Beans

The driver exists and works fine in 2d , the author Mr. Baros Lee is working on a new version a 3d one, please ask nicely to Mr. Barros Lee to this email address barroslee@gmail.com and he will answer you and send the driver.

greetings from Mexico
    Javier García Prieto.

Wheres he first son?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightsun View Post
    Did anyone ever get anywhere with this problem?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=615094

In hardy the best I managed to achieve was 1024x768 using the VESA driver and the result was mixed at best.

Did anyone manage to get 1200x800 in Hardy like people in the above thread appeared to do with early releases?

Frankly I just don't understand SiS's position. Their current attitude of witholding the drivers doesn't seem to be achieving anything except the alienation of Linux users. I know I will certainly never buy anything containing SiS hardware again if the situation doesn't change.

I've just upgraded to Intrepid and now I can't even get the bloody thing to go higher than 800x600 which is absolutely heartbreaking. Will soon be downgrading to Hardy again and (sadly) reverting back to Vesa 1024x768 which comes with funky horizontal bands across the screen.

The fact that I'm willing to put up with this should be testament to just how much I dread ever having to reinstall windows...

Anyone who finds a solution to this issue will have my eternal gratitude and possibly my first-born son...

Beans

The driver exists and works fine in 2d , the author Mr. Baros Lee is working on a new version a 3d one, please ask nicely to Mr. Barros Lee to this email address barroslee@gmail.com and he will answer you and send the driver.

greetings from Mexico
    Javier García Prieto.

Quote Originally Posted by pathematica View Post
    To everyone

Thanks very much - I have it working now and I am very happy.

I had upgraded using the upgrade manager. My previous arrangements to make the video card work ported between 9.04 and 9.10 but not to 10.04.

I have now reinstalled using the disk. I followed the instructions provided by you guys (thanks) and it works.

I did the same things as before (I made a typo above about the folder for the drivers - I had put them in the correct place).

Thanks again - another problem solved by disk install (rather than online upgrade) and the very useful solutions posted here.

Thanks to the person who wrote the drivers.

Beans

AFAIK, he sends the 2d version of the driver. cause SiS has forbidden him to distribute the 3d version...

also, we already have a working 2d version... we need the 3d source code....

por cierto, hablo español... qué driver le pediste? el 2d o el 3d? qué te amndó? para que versión de xorg? tenés el código de fuente?

(just a few questions in spanish, I will translate them with the answers later)

Beans

guyver2095: Where did you got this information from?
    That sounds awesome, though...
    Would be the first time I could use Linux with 3D acceleration ^^
    But I have to say... the last card I was using (from VIA) worked much better than sis ones. There was a maintained driver which was distributed with every Ubuntu release by default. I think this should be a goal for further releases with sis drivers, too. But I do not know how to achieve that...

Beans

anyway I send the driver that Mr. Lee sent to me.

greetings from Mexico
    Javier García Prieto.

Quote Originally Posted by purct View Post
    That's great news...I am glad it worked for you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guyver2095 View Post
    anyway I send the driver that Mr. Lee sent to me.

greetings from Mexico
    Javier García Prieto.
    You uploaded the wrong file. That's not a video driver.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by azedddine View Post
    @ ajoliveira

thank you ajoliveira, my prbleme is resolved, i have to wait just few minutes to obtain complete live session.

i received an email from barros lee, he told me that:

Here is the 2d driver for ubuntu 10.04.
    If you are using vesa driver now, you may change your resolution to lower resolution such as 1024x768 first.
    Then just copy sis_drv.* to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/
    And restart X or reboot.

Recently, SiS ask me to develop new 3d driver for linux, so I just porting 2d driver to ubuntu 10.04.
    If you find some bugs of 2d driver, I will fix it in my free time.

Best Regards
    Barros Lee

i tested that driver, it work verry fine, i don't have problems.

here are files of the 2D driver, and you have just to copy to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/

http://www.mediafire.com/?tmizztxmmuq
    I think guyver2095 is refering to this driver posted by azedddine on page 44 post #433.
    I ended using that driver cause I got my sis m672 on 1440x900 with it.
    There are the instructions, so: NO xorg.conf + copy sis_drv.* to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ + restart X or reboot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by codegateway View Post
    I think guyver2095 is refering to this driver posted by azedddine on page 44 post #433.
    I ended using that driver cause I got my sis m672 on 1440x900 with it.
    There are the instructions, so: NO xorg.conf + copy sis_drv.* to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ + restart X or reboot.
    that's it, u are right, there is no xorg file

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by azedddine View Post
    @ ajoliveira

Recently, SiS ask me to develop new 3d driver for linux, so I just porting 2d driver to ubuntu 10.04.
    Best Regards
    Barros Lee
    I wonder what does SiS do with its collected 3D drivers for Linux, 'cause no one happens to stumble upon them. It's been said that SiS is not interested in developing a 3D driver for its hideous 771/671 video cards because it's closing down business. Then why SiS asks Mr. Lee to develop something discontinued? Why they didn't do it before? When will they deliver the driver? (when it has already become useless?)
    I guess there's something I've missed in this whole story, and I think that something was the opportunity to buy a lovely pair of shoes instead of going for this creepy SiS 771 video carded laptop.

(...my feeling...)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Elzigzag
    Argento de San Luis.

Page 47 of 87 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast